Clicking noise every full rotation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daverave

Veteran
Hi All,

I put my bike in for a service last week because of a clicking/creaking noise coming from somewhere every full rotation of the wheel. They said it was a rusty bottom bracket which they replaced. However, I rode it this morning and the noise is still there! Any ideas what else it could be? The bike is a Giant Defy 1 2015. Cheers.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The BB doesn't rotate at the same rate as the wheel. So if it's a click in time with wheel rotations it's not the BB.

Sorry to sound facile but it's something to do with one of your wheels. Hub maybe. Freehub perhaps. Spokes rubbing on each other. Mudguard stays if you have them. Brakes. Something wheely. Yes, wheely.

OP
OP
D

daverave

Veteran
The BB doesn't rotate at the same rate as the wheel. So if it's a click in time with wheel rotations it's not the BB.

Sorry to sound facile but it's something to do with one of your wheels. Hub maybe. Freehub perhaps. Spokes rubbing on each other. Mudguard stays if you have them. Brakes. Something wheely. Yes, wheely.

Yes, I know! I told the cycle shop that it was every full rotation of the wheels. But they said they test ride it, located the noise and it was a rusty BB.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Clicking/creaking could be the saddle rails fretting on their cradle. Try tightening the big bolt under the saddle.

Danny B

I have a Defy 1 2015 and had issues with the wheels creaking, I took it back to lBS and had both front and back wheels trued and spokes tightened, this sorted it. So I would take it back to the shop and ask them to check this out.

OP
OP
D

daverave

Veteran
I have a Defy 1 2015 and had issues with the wheels creaking, I took it back to lBS and had both front and back wheels trued and spokes tightened, this sorted it. So I would take it back to the shop and ask them to check this out.

Cheers. Is this covered under warranty? My bike is 8 months old, but the supplier told me that the BB was only under warranty for 90 days. Hopefully spokes (or whatever the problem is) are different.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Creaky saddle rails are so often to blame that that's the almost automatic suggestion.

Does the noise continue when you stop pedalling and sit still while rolling along?

Danny B

assuming you bought the bike from the store I would not expect to be charged. If you didn't then I wouldn't expect the warranty to cover this, however to true and tighten two wheels should not be much money if you do have to pay.

OP
OP
D

daverave

Veteran
Creaky saddle rails are so often to blame that that's the almost automatic suggestion.

Does the noise continue when you stop pedalling and sit still while rolling along?

Yes, it continues if you stop pedalling and just sit. But always once per revolution of the wheel.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Have you got spare front and rear wheels you can substitute so as to track down which wheel is making the noise?

Have you checked the tyres for embedded bits of grit or metal?

Kbrook

Veteran
Yes, it continues if you stop pedalling and just sit. But always once per revolution of the wheel.
Well it's definately not the BB then as that's not turning. Have you put a little grease on the wheel dropouts, also spray a little lube where the spokes touch each other.

Top Bottom