Clicking noise every full rotation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
From my experience it sounds like a bearing when I have rode wheels with cup and cone bearings and they have developed a small bit of play or needed greasing, they have developed a click and a creak, check to see if there is any side to side movement of the wheel, also try spinning the wheel with your ear to the saddle, you will soon hear what is going on and if its running rough. I even developed a click from my front, same type of bearing when I hit a speed bump hard, it started clicking, but removing the wheel and refiitting it stopped it.

Alternatively it could be spoke tension or a loose spoke, so have a pull on your spokes to see if any are loose. A broken spoke will make a clicking sound, but the LBS should have spotted it.

And another cause of a clicking sound on a wheel can be caused by the rubber sprues on the tyre from when it was moulded, it can drive you mad to find that one. I serviced a girls bike at work and she had that problem, despite the fact its nothing, I had to cut every one of the little sprues off

Also a click can develop (but no creak) if your magnet hits the sensor if you have a computer fitted, My Mavic Axiums are notorious for this, halfway through a ride, the spoke will twist and ends up making the magnet cockeyed.

The big question is though, is the click and the creak related or two different problems, Clicks normally happen when something is turning, creaks happen when load is applied to something.

OP
OP
D

daverave

Veteran
It's clicks only when I'm on the bike (I'm 16+ stone) and the wheel is rotating. If the wheel is rotated without downward load then there is no noise.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I had that...it turned from a click into a kind of crackle...every revolution of the wheel.
Lbs thought it was the weld that joins the rim and gave that a whack with a punch to pin it down...and still it was there.

They then suggested a re build with new spokes and I was suspicious that this was a sales pitch.

A year later and not a creak, rattle or crackle...also, I have damaged about one rim a year previously ( cracks and spokes pulling through). But so far...not a peep.

Worth having the lbs look at the spoke quality and tension.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Do you hear pinging and clinking noises from the rear wheel as you climb hills? That's coming from the spokes.

zacklaws

Guru
Just thought......its not a Mavic wheel is it? I have two different types of Mavic wheel and they both make a clicking noise, it drove me bonkers, I even made a pull through and pulled it through the hollow space to see if there was anything loose......it was then when I discovered, that on both sets of front rims, directly opposite on the other side of the rim from where the rim is joined, is a little metal plate that slides back and forth as the wheel turns, it only does it up to about 5mph and then centrifugal force seems to lock it in place. What its purpose in life is supposed to be or if it is supposed to move I do not know. I did a quick fix on it my gluing it in place with nail varnish as our lass had left it handy for me to misuse but it come free again but I hardly notice it now most of the time.

But it does serve one purpose, without looking at the computer, I know I am crawling uphill and getting close to stalling speed.

Last edited:

zacklaws

Guru
I think that's a counterbalance for the joining plate that holds the rim together.

Actually that was about the only logical thing I could think of it being, but why have it sliding back and forth and non of my other rims have such a thing or maybe they have a different method of a counterbalance

The Horse's Mouth

Proud to be an Inverted snob!
Take your wheels off take the axle apart. Grease the bearings. Check the axle (is it bent?) put it all back together. if still clicking check for play in wheel. I had a click noise for ages. Im 16 stone plus too. The wheel was rubbing on one side but only happened when I rode it and put down extra pressure (up hills etc).

OP
OP
D

daverave

Veteran
Just been out on a ride, and it is more of a creak rather than a click. Fairly loud too. If I shift most of my body weight onto the front of the bike, then the creaking goes away.

Danny B

Defiantly sounds like the spokes need tightening. try pinging pairs of spokes "like playing a harp" work round the wheel on both sides, the spokes should feel the same tension and ping almost the same sound. I reckon you will find a few with a dull sound and feel not so tight.
I tried to tighten mine up myself first but quickly un-trued the wheel, Best to get the shop to do this.

zacklaws

Guru
Just been out on a ride, and it is more of a creak rather than a click. Fairly loud too. If I shift most of my body weight onto the front of the bike, then the creaking goes away.

I'm beginning to get confused now as to whether the creak is coming from your wheel, once per revolution as earlier stated or from somewhere else, How fast are you going when it is happening, because if its fast then a creak from a wheel would be almost a constant creak with a tooing and frooing sound and hard to discern if its once a revolution, but if you put more weight on the front, then it reduces the load elsewhere, ie the saddle which has been mentioned earlier as the cause. There seems to be a lack of details, ie when you put more weight on the front, are you leaning forward, standing up, still pedaling, how fast your going, only providing full details can things be eliminated to find the true source of the problem, otherwise, things that are suggested and implemented to resolve the problem may cause other problems.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Definitely worth lubricating the spoke crossing points. That may not be it, but its easy and unlikely to make matters worse (unless you accidentally lube your rims too). I have resolved a similar problem this way in the past- just after the wheel had been trued

jimhead

I've got a 2014 Defy 1 and have had clicking/pinging noises pretty much from new.
I tried oiling the spoke crossings etc but it didn't work so I bought some new wheels (Cero AR24) and the noises have gone. I have to say, the Giant PR2 spokes aren't very taught compared to the new wheels and the nipples had corroded after only a few months.

Also, check out this excellent thread - https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/giant-defy-1-creaking.149095/
I was just about to replace the bottom bracket as I was convinced the problem was there (only creaked with load on the pedals even when static) but a tighten of the hanger screws sorted it!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
it was then when I discovered, that on both sets of front rims, directly opposite on the other side of the rim from where the rim is joined, is a little metal plate that slides back and forth as the wheel turns, it only does it up to about 5mph and then centrifugal force seems to lock it in place. .
yep, that the plate you whack with a centre punch to stop it floating. I still suspect its a poor wheel build that is the issue.

Top Bottom