Clicking noise every full rotation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
My guess is that the wheels have a weight limit below your 16 stone (224 lbs) and what you are experiencing is flexing for which there is no cure.
The route to take when looking for a creak is cleats - pedals - crank bolts - BB. If this does not fix it then you look elsewhere. I noise from the wheel on every revolution first check for brake rub then wheel alignment - playing card attached to frame

kiriyama

I have a similar creak. Thought I'd fixed it today but it's back.

For the sake of 12 quid I replaced my bottom bracket where I assumed the creak was coming from. (Needed doing anyway, 4 years of abuse at least) Took it for a test ride and the creak had gone. Just went out now and it's back! Aaaaarrrggghhh!!!

Clicks at the same point on the pedal rotation
only when under load
Can't replicate the noise on a work stand

Chain rings and chain are about a month old. Pretty sure it's not the pedals. Will have to disassemble and have another look. Maybe it's just me!

dvaid

hi, desperate for help with clicking rear wheel. Had Hope hubs on Mavic rims 26" and rear wheel which clicked from day one. Firm in Leicester built the wheels.

Asked Evans to service hub with new bearings. Guess what? Click still there LOUDER THAN EVER.

Perplexed. Can't see anything rubbing or catching per rotation.

One clue is that a bump in road or movement of balance/weight or even amount of strain can (but not always!!!!!) but it's so intermittent it can't be conclusively pinned down.

However I am beginning to think it's the overall wheel build itself, the spokes, etc Is there any DIY fix for this problem or do we have to start from scratch with a new wheel build with the same hub and rim.

Any ideas?

gasinayr

Über Member
Years ago my mate had a click with every pedal revolution, drove him nuts could not find the cause. In the end we swopped bikes to try and find the cause, no noise with me on bike. Back on he own bike and noise reappeared, while looking at his bike as he pedaled I nearly fell off laughing when I found the problem. He had tracksuit bottoms with the zips on the inside legs and the zip pull tabs were hitting the cranks. He! He!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have a similar creak. Thought I'd fixed it today but it's back.

For the sake of 12 quid I replaced my bottom bracket where I assumed the creak was coming from. (Needed doing anyway, 4 years of abuse at least) Took it for a test ride and the creak had gone. Just went out now and it's back! Aaaaarrrggghhh!!!

Clicks at the same point on the pedal rotation
only when under load
Can't replicate the noise on a work stand

Chain rings and chain are about a month old. Pretty sure it's not the pedals. Will have to disassemble and have another look. Maybe it's just me!

Is it a BB30? If it is, search for my post on CC about clicking and creaking BB30s and what you need to do to cure them.

Top Bottom