Clicking Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Eighth Man

My bike makes a really annoying clicking / creaking noise when I pedal, it is not the seat post because it does it when I stand up, it is not the bars because it does it if I do no handed and it is not the bottom bracket because that is nearly new any ideas?

Tynan

Veteran
My bike makes a really annoying clicking / creaking noise when I pedal, it is not the seat post because it does it when I stand up, it is not the bars because it does it if I do no handed and it is not the bottom bracket because that is nearly new any ideas?

I think Sheldon does a common sense check list for this that helps to eliminate causes, ie does it happen freewheeling

pedals?

BenScoobert

I have similar to this, it happened as I applied pressure at the beginning of each pedal stroke.
I tighened everything on the crank that an allen key went on, I've now got it down to a tiny tick/creak as my left foot applies pressure.

Should I retighten all again or is it something else?

rh100

Mine was the handlebar clamp, had gone a bit crappy inbetween the metal surfaces. The weight shifts on the bars as you peddle I think, tightening wasn't enough, stripped and cleaned etc.

edit - just reread OP - not the bars then but may help someone else

Sorry just back from the pub, that was a daft suggestion .

- Baz -

Pedals can be a common source of clicks, try peddling one leg at a time.
So true. Had the same problem as the OP last week. Annoyed the hell out of me - just couldn't figure it out as it's difficult to know exactly where the click is coming from. Got a bike mechanic to take a look - it turned out that the pedal bearings were dry (poor quality original resin pedals, now replaced).

had this a while ago. Turned out to be dirt in my BB. Pulled out my BB and regressed and it was all sorted. Just a thought

Tynan

Veteran
my right shoe creaks sometimes, you'd never think it was the shoe other than twisting the foot slightly stops the noise, the cleat isn't quite right

zacklaws

Guru
my right shoe creaks sometimes, you'd never think it was the shoe other than twisting the foot slightly stops the noise, the cleat isn't quite right

My shoes creak too, took me a long time to realise it. Every time my shoes get wet and dry out, they creak for a few weeks till they soften up again, but they only creak when the going gets tough and I stand to pedal.

Sorted it by always giving them a good coating of shoe polish, especially the tounge

Top Bottom