Click'r pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jessand

Veteran
Hi All
Having had hip surgery I am currently using half toe clips rather than clipless SPD pedals. Prior to this I've used clipless for 25 years (A520s). I am looking to get back to clipless but want very easy release. I always used the A520s on the loosest setting anyway so am considering Click'r as a first option. Does anyone have experience of these? Are the much easier to release in practice?
Shimano also do PD ED500 'light action', anyone used these - same question regarding comparative ease of release?
Many thanks

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi All
Having had hip surgery I am currently using half toe clips rather than clipless SPD pedals. Prior to this I've used clipless for 25 years (A520s). I am looking to get back to clipless but want very easy release. I always used the A520s on the loosest setting anyway so am considering Click'r as a first option. Does anyone have experience of these? Are the much easier to release in practice?
Shimano also do PD ED500 'light action', anyone used these - same question regarding comparative ease of release?
Many thanks
Change the cleats to 'Multi release' versions, SH 56

https://www.bing.com/aclk?ld=e8Cwoa...Q&rlid=ebf3eefcce901f4653e88fad54e03605&ntb=1

D

Deleted member 1258

I've always used Click R pedals, I've not used any others so can't compare to normal SPD's, they're secure enough and easy to get in and out of.

dickyknees

Guru
After simultaneous bilateral knee replacements I bought a new bike and put the PD-ED500 pedals after using A520s for years.

I have cycled 2,200 on the PD-ED500s, no problems, very easy to get out of the pedals.

I have them adjusted on the easiest setting giving me the the confidence to return to clipless after the TKR surgery.

OP
OP
J

jessand

Veteran
Thank you Dogtrousers, raleighnut, dave r, sasquath and dicky knees. You've been very helpful. I guess I've lost some confidence since the op, it's not the twisting action that's the problem now it's more the fear of toppling over and doing some damage. Hip is great but I'd rather not go through it again in the near future!

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Slightly hijacking this, are the 56's a lot easier to release compared to the 51's. I fell off earlier this year when I hit a hole and broke my elbow and I'm a little nervous about clipping in (not even back riding yet :sad:), so wondered if these would maybe give me a bit more confidence, even if it was for a short while until my confidence returns.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
having a quick look on shimano site they claim ClickR to be 60% ish easier to get in and out of than regualar SPD
plus a version comes one side flat and one side clickR (PD- T421). My OH has a similar type but spd, which she finds great for setting off, navigating junctions etc... she can do that on the flat side and then click in once on the "open " road

sasquath

Thank you Dogtrousers, raleighnut, dave r, sasquath and dicky knees. You've been very helpful. I guess I've lost some confidence since the op, it's not the twisting action that's the problem now it's more the fear of toppling over and doing some damage. Hip is great but I'd rather not go through it again in the near future!
Just think if you really have to clip in. Make a pro and con list.
Few cons:
Cost
Inconvenience(in traffic)
Risk of injury
Fill pros yourself and weigh it out.
https://www.bikejames.com/strength/...t-the-problem-the-lies-told-to-sell-them-are/
(Leaves the room in a hurry)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Just read latest studies on benefits of clipping in and don't use them since there are none.
(Leaves the room in a hurry)

I hope you're not trying to hijack this thread, if you want to discuss the bennifits, or not, of clip in pedals start your own thread. :sad:

I hope you're not trying to hijack this thread, if you want to discuss the bennifits, or not, of clip in pedals start your own thread. :sad:
cripes - it's NACAS reborn.
relax dave - I'm getting a page that says the link isn't reachable.
(to tell the truth I reckon a discussion of the issue is OK since I had the impression the thread was partly about knee issues - I often don't use clips these days for some rides)

OP
OP
J

jessand

Veteran
I've been using SH56 for years (they were recommended for A520s), I am really only asking for users experience of Click'r and ther Shimano light action pedals. Thanks

D

Deleted member 1258

No, I'm not trying to hijack it, just given original concerns maybe clipping in isn't such a great idea in OPs situation. Re-worded my original post to be less provoking.

Thank you.

Top Bottom