Climate Impacts of Biking v Driving - not what we thought?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Do Prius drivers not eat then?

Made me chuckle, to the end of the first para when I gave up

Do Prius drivers not eat then?

Made me chuckle, to the end of the first para when I gave up

Long story short, if you eat enough meat the extra calories burned by biking can lead to more climate change than driving a car with good fuel economy.

Made me chuckle too, they are basically saying Americans are most responsible for climate change.

Vickivix

It just seems to compare cyclists and what they eat to cars. Cars have drivers that eat too. Maybe they think cyclists eat much more than drivers?

classic33

Leg End Member
Hopefully in an eco-friendly hand cart.
Or
Bicycle Ambulance.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
If we eat loads more beef, surely it will contribute to the health of the Planet as they reckon Cows produce the most methane that is destroying the atmosphere.....A nice big T-bone steak for me "garçon".....:whistle:
100kg a year of Methane produced!
"A cow does on overage release between 70 and 120 kg of Methane per year. Methane is a greenhouse gas like carbon dioxide (CO2). But the negative effect on the climate of Methane is 23 times higher than the effect of CO2. Therefore the release of about 100 kg Methane per year for each cow is equivalent to about 2'300 kg CO2 per year."
&
"In other words, a kilogram of beef is responsible for the equivalent of the amount of CO2 emitted by the average European car every 250 kilometres."

Tojo

Über Member
100kg a year of Methane produced!
"A cow does on overage release between 70 and 120 kg of Methane per year. Methane is a greenhouse gas like carbon dioxide (CO2). But the negative effect on the climate of Methane is 23 times higher than the effect of CO2. Therefore the release of about 100 kg Methane per year for each cow is equivalent to about 2'300 kg CO2 per year."
&
"In other words, a kilogram of beef is responsible for the equivalent of the amount of CO2 emitted by the average European car every 250 kilometres."

As quoted here http://road.cc/content/news/193523-...bal-warming-driving-argues-harvard-researcher

As an example, 1 gram of methane, associated with livestock, is equivalent to 300 grams of carbon dioxide in terms of global warming potential, giving a reading of 300 gCO2e. Nitrous dioxide, also a factor in agriculture, has a value of 30 gCO2e.

Top Bottom