Climate Impacts of Biking v Driving - not what we thought?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nibor

Bewildered
OH NO HE FORGOT TO MENTION THE ENERGY AND WASTE MAKING AND DISPOSING OF THE CAR vs the pushbike.
Beat me to it it takes more energy to manufacture a car than it burns in its entire useful life.

Nibor

Bewildered
to be fair my road bike has a few airmiles in it. Reynolds 525 drawn in UK shipped to Taiwan or where ever to be made into a frame which is shipped to Preston for my delectation. Not quirte as bad as the prius and it's heavy, expensive batteries.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's a strange comparison. Firstly, when I'm hungry I don't drive a Pious, I go eat something. Then there's our omnivorous nature, as evidenced by the design and composition of our teeth.

It's a pointless exercise, which itself is responsible for an equally pointless waste of resources.

Jody

Stubborn git
Not to mention the energy wasted shipping the Pious from the factory in Japan to its sale markets.

Plus having its batteries replaced every 10 years.

Drago

Legendary Member
Regular fans of my incoherent ramblings will know that I bought my Missus and old but very well maintained Pious last year.

In exceptional conditions it could manage 70+ MPG, bit more usually high 40s.

It turned out to be a bit small for the Labrador, so it went in favour of a lovely Zafira 1.6 petrol. 2002, but one old duffer owner with full dealer history and only 54,000 miles.

Well, the box on wheels can do 40MPG, has a little bit of acceleration should you ever need it (it's no flying machine, but there's some pep there) which is more than the Pious had, yet is big enough to do anything asked for it. It's also a decent, if unexciting, handling bus, so unlike the Pious can be thrown around with verve if needed.

Which makes me realise how crap the Pious really is. Now wonder the cows fart so much - they're just amazed and the pointlessness of it all.

Top Bottom