Climbing Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
Recently I have taken to picking out some routes with some elevation to further improve fitness and hopefully kick start some more weight loss. Being in Hull, there isn't an ample supply, but here is what I have been trying:
  • Trundlegate
  • Brantingham Dale
  • Elloughton Dale
  • Spout Hill
  • Various shorter "climbs" around the Swanland area, such as Woodgates Lane and Kidd Lane
What's the best approach to improve? I know the answer is practice, but what is overdoing it? Is doing 1 or 2 every day too much, should I do something entirely flat to rest?

During weekdays I am trying to do 1 of the above, with maybe a smaller climb too, and on the weekends I am trying to take a route that takes in 2 or 3.

Spout Hill is the only one I have yet to do in one go, I am still not fit enough:blush:

Also does anybody know of any other good climbs, be it short steep ones, or even longer drags around here? I can ride up to 70 miles, not sure if that opens any more northern climbs up as all those above are around the Humber, but obviously don't want climbs towards the end!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Take a look at North Grimston. The hills there look quite challenging and they are within range.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd go up Trundlegate all the time, great name!

People who live in hilly areas have to go up hills all the time, as a result they get better at it/ can stand the pain more.
This is why I'm rubbish!
I must remember that excuse. :whistle: though the county can get a bit lumpy (Leicestershire)

uclown2002

Guru
You mention a lack of fitness, so I'd concentrate on gradually upping your mileage and spending more time in the saddle. That is where you will see real progress.
I don't believe you have to focus on hills at this stage nor should you avoid them.
If you are overweight then try and shed excess pounds.
Good luck. :thumbsup:

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
I'd go up Trundlegate all the time, great name!

People who live in hilly areas have to go up hills all the time, as a result they get better at it/ can stand the pain more.
This is why I'm rubbish!

Same here. I live in Norfolk :ohmy: .

In answer to the OP's question, I'd say tackle as many climbs as possible as often as you can without it becoming a chore and something you come to hate.

NorvernRob

Do fenland headwinds count as ample replacements for hills?

No, because we get some awful headwinds in the Peak District too! ;)

I wouldn't swap you though. We did a Sportive in Lincolnshire earlier this year, it was a nice rolling route but 20 miles of it was flat Fenland. I've never been as bored in my life, just look at the road and keep pedalling. No climbs, no descents, not even any bends, just a junction every so often. I honestly couldn't do it for any longer than a couple of hours.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Do fenland headwinds count as ample replacements for hills?
Only when they're blowing you backwards. :biggrin: (So most days then :giggle:)

Only when they're blowing you backwards. :biggrin: (So most days then :giggle:)

Rather be blown backwards than sideways.

I wouldn't swap you though. We did a Sportive in Lincolnshire earlier this year, it was a nice rolling route but 20 miles of it was flat Fenland. I've never been as bored in my life, just look at the road and keep pedalling. No climbs, no descents, not even any bends, just a junction every so often. I honestly couldn't do it for any longer than a couple of hours.

Yeah, can get a bit boring. I certainly prefer heading off to the coast from my base in west norfolk to get a bit of variation into the "road, junction, road, oh look a pheasant, road, junction" tedium that can happen around here.

DannyCFC

Me and the brains of the outfit have a few routes we like where we can do the harder hills if we want. See how you go - we've been out and done the hills we hate cos she didn't want to wimp out but thought I was up for them and vice versa.

It's a good feeling to do a hill you didn't fancy, same as it is going for a ride you didn't feel in the mood for. Cycling is good.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.

In the hot summer of 1976, having just left school, me and a mate decided to cycling around England.

First day, Cromer to King's Lynn - no problems.

Second day set off for Lincoln. After about 15 miles, we hit the fens.

In the distance we could see a spire. Obviously Lincoln Cathedral we thought in our teenage naivety.

One hour later.... no closer, or so it seemed.

Two hours later..... still no closer!

Eventually, after about 3hours of staring at this ruddy spire, the truth finally dawned. It wasn't actually Lincoln Cathedral, but some village church that just so happened to have a pointy tower!

Finally arrived near Lincoln later in the day to discover that it wasn't actually flat anymore, but very much on the lumpy side!

Top Bottom