Climbing in the drops?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Surely it all depends on where your 'drops' are and how they are set up. I've seen some riders riding on the 'drops' in a position which is actually higher the me riding on the hoods. There are some shocking bike setups out there...
Mine's one of them. I have several headset spacers to raise the stem (which is angled up), and the handlebars angled down so I can use my preferred position (i.e. on the drops) all the time. I just find it more comfortable that way. Other people can act as shocked as they wish, but I'll continue riding my bikes in the way that suits me best.

Taken a few years ago, but the stem and handlebar setup are more or less the same now:
20110427-Vivente.jpg

I've done 67,000km over 5 years with the bike setup like this, including some fairly long rides, and it works for me.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Mine's one of them. I have several headset spacers to raise the stem (which is angled up), and the handlebars angled down so I can use my preferred position (i.e. on the drops) all the time. I just find it more comfortable that way. Other people can act as shocked as they wish, but I'll continue riding my bikes in the way that suits me best.

Taken a few years ago, but the stem and handlebar setup are more or less the same now:
20110427-Vivente.jpg

I've done 67,000km over 5 years with the bike setup like this, including some fairly long rides, and it works for me.

I feel nauseous!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
There we are then. If the position works for you , then that's fine, although the bike does look too small for you anyway. But we now have photographic proof that threads like this are meaningless.. :smile:
No, I was just presenting my particular setup, and never claimed that it was suitable for anyone else. As others have already mentioned in this thread, different people can use very different bike configurations, and there's no one correct way to do it. So your sarcasm was misdirected.

No, I was just presenting my particular setup, and never claimed that it was suitable for anyone else. As others have already mentioned in this thread, different people can use very different bike configurations, and there's no one correct way to do it. So your sarcasm was misdirected.

For once, there was no sarcasm in my post whatsoever. Not sure which bit you think was equivocal? Like I said, that's your position - nobody else's. Although I still think you could do with a taller head tube.

You did, however, inadvertently confirm my point that 'drops' self-evidently means different things to different people. But your position would certainly look a lot more 'normal' with the right size frame.

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
For once, there was no sarcasm in my post whatsoever. Not sure which bit you think was equivocal? Like I said, that's your position - nobody else's. Although I still think you could do with a taller head tube.

You did, however, inadvertently confirm my point that 'drops' self-evidently means different things to different people. But your position would certainly look a lot more 'normal' with the right size frame.
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your comment "But we now have photographic proof that threads like this are meaningless" - it sounded sarcastic to me. The frame is an XL, by the way. I don't know whether they had a larger one than that, and too late to change it now, of course.

Top Bottom