Climbing in the drops?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I climb on the drops but only when I am going up a very steep hill or I want to accelerate a bit.

There was a thread before about sprinting in the drops. Both are perfectly fine to do and I have never heard anything about restrictions to breathing.

BSRU

A Human Being
I may have to start using the drops more often after my little experiment at lunchtime, didn't realise the increased speed benefits would be so noticeable.
Only normally use the drops if battling a strong headwind.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I climb on the drops but only when I am going up a very steep hill or I want to accelerate a bit.

There was a thread before about sprinting in the drops. Both are perfectly fine to do and I have never heard anything about restrictions to breathing.

You should always sprint in the drops.

When people say, restricting your breathing, this is not a sudden inability to breath properly.

cinelli

Hoods and Tops. Never on the drops. Doesn't it just make things harder when you are crunched up like that? I feel on the hoods and tops I can breathe easier.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I use the drops a lot, compared to many folk I ride with. Much better braking and aero. Always on downhill bits and lots of situations when you're moving relatively quickly or into a headwind. It will feel weird at first but you soon get used to it!

PhunkyPhil

Regular
I have just started using my drops more to up my average a bit and am starting to add sprinting up shorter hills using the drops to get more speed. Not sure if I would want to grind out a big hill on the drops though as its more relaxing to me to use the hoods.

I guess different people are able to maintain different positions and ultimately there isn't a correct way to do anything. I can happily go along at 20+ on the hoods when others need the drops to get that speed, this is why I never really started using the drops till very recently.

photonergy

It was by accident by now i'm usually climbing in the drops, especially when the pace gets hard.

My saddle-stem drop is about 12cm, and I've not had a problem climbing in the hoods/top until I've switched to my current bar, Pro Vibe 7s traditional drop. The hood area near the top is flat unlike the real traditional bar, where it drops down, so now i'm about 2cm at the hood compared to before. This setup have been a problem for me during climbing and i usually find myself unable to generate the power i did before. One day, out of frustration and determine to try any other position before re-installing my previous bar, i dropped down to the drops, and it was night and day. Couldn't believe the difference it made and how much easier it is to generate/maintain power.

I think there isn't a "right" position, it's whatever you find most effective.

Top Bottom