Climbing in the drops?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
There is no rule regarding hand position but if you watch the guys who spend 6 or more hours in the saddle you will notice a pattern: most people climb with their hands on the flat bit midway between stem and bend. The variable is whether you are pushing or pulling and this depends on style and personal preference I think.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'll only use the drops on a climb if i'm out of the saddle and pushing it hard.
Otherwise I'll be on the flats mostly and occasionally on the hoods.

A nice relaxed upper body position helps a lot with being fluid with climbing.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Since I fitted On-One Midges to the fixed seated climbing on the drops got a whole lot easier. And quicker/faster. I've not yet encountered any restriction to my breathing. And they work damn well when honking too.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I often stay in the drops throughout a whole ride. This should be possible without interfering with your breathing too much. The guy you sometimes ride with might want to look at his riding position.
Or maybe you need to look at your position. The drops aren't there to ride all day in. AFAIK you are "supposed" to spend most of your time on the hoods, use your drops to go into an aero position. Maybe you have you bars too high for your style/flexability.
I do the same as VamP, i.e. spend whole rides using the drops. I find them more comfortable than the top parts of the handlebars. My body's now used to this riding style, and I've done some fairly long and hilly rides this way. Perhaps I'm breaking some unofficial rule by doing so, but this doesn't bother me.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
In my teens I used the drops 90% of the time.
Nowadays I only use the drops on fast descents, i.e. when I don't have to pedal, which involves my thighs painfully thumping my enormous beer-gut.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I can't help but think that for most mere mortals modern race bike geometry and the riding position that results renders the drops all but unusable for many. Simply too low.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thanks for all the responses .

Big diversity of opinion there as normal for the forum, I doint allways climb on the drops I just like having more options of hand position and back angle to keep moving around . Not being a racer out and out speed isnt as vital to me as comfort on a long ride .

Top Bottom