Climbing the Alps - Gear Ratio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simone Vasco

I'm going cycle from London to Italy climbing the Austrian Alps with the single speed I use to commute in London.
I will climb 3 mountain passes. The climbs have all an average gradient of 2.5%-4% with maximum of 8-9%. They're about 15 miles long.

I'm going to use 48/17 until I can but I'm going to carry a spare chain ring for the big climbs.
What do you think it's a good compromise for this kind of hill? I was thinking 38/17?

I'm 25, 5'7", quite fit (I cycled to Paris via Calais (270 miles in 44 hours a few months ago - through French hills)

Thanks, your suggestions are appreciated!

Which passes are you thinking of taking, and where have you got your gradient info from? I would be wary of average gradient figures you are more likely to be climbing at 8-9 % for a good distance and I would base your choice on that rather than expecting to cycle 15 miles at 3% with short spells of 9%

Never been over the Fernpass but the Reschen isn't particularly steep (or exciting) on either side. Keep an eye out for the tower in the dam where they flooded a town.

If you wanted something more spectacular scenary wise the Timseljoch is fantastic not much more demanding climbing the Austrian side but the descent into Italy is quite hairy.

OP
OP
S

Simone Vasco

I know about the church tower... the flood was courtesy of Mussolini.
Thanks, I'll check the Timseljoch out as an optional route. Did you do it on a single-speed?

I know about the church tower... the flood was courtesy of Mussolini.
Thanks, I'll check the Timseljoch out as an optional route. Did you do it on a single-speed?

afraid all my touring so far as been petrol powered, planning on changing that next year though :thumbsup:

zigzag

Veteran
38/17 should be fine, but will you have a shorter chain for that or will have two quick links on one chain. a bit of a faff to change chains on tour. will you be rushing your trip or taking it easy? if no rush, i'd use lower gear for the entire trip - around 63-65".

OP
OP
S

Simone Vasco

I will carry a spare shorter chain for the 38/17. I'm just afraid 38/17 is going to be too much spinning. Will try to keep my 48/17. The 38 is really just in case it's actually too tough. I haven't got much experience on hills.

zigzag

Veteran
if you are determined to use two chainrings, wouldn't it be more convenient to have them both on the crank and have a chain tensioner at the back? this way you could just push the chain to the smaller chainring whenever going gets tough without needing to swap chains and chainrings. not exactly a purist image of single-speed setup:smile:

OP
OP
S

Simone Vasco

I thought about it but I actually like the single speed look, trying to keep it simple here. I'm just wondering if for 15 miles at average 4% and peaks of 9% the 38/17 gear ratio is too low?

knightwhosaysni

Über Member
The Fernpass is not that hard (as alpine passes go...) but it does have a lot of traffic. I took the off-road route along the Via Claudia Augusta which is more scenic but less singlespeedable.

OP
OP
S

Simone Vasco

Is the Claudia Augusta asphalt? Does it follow a completely different off road or is it well connected with the road? In case I can't climb it and have to go back to the main road.
I'll try to get there during the week to avoid the weekend traffic.

Top Bottom