Climbing the Alps - Gear Ratio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Some of the VCA on the Fernpass side is a struggle offroad as I found to my cost. Stick to the road as it's not that bad IMHO. After Pfunds I suggest you follow the VCA and take the road that stays NW of the River Inn (B187?). It's a nice descent hugging a cliff and most of the heavy traffic takes the main road (B135?). The penalty is a climb from Martina to Nauders which is grinding and winding but rewarding.

Here's a pic of a section with the Roman cartwheel tracks visible

vca.jpg

zizou

Veteran
I cant remember the address but i recently read a blog post by someone who did 4 ascents (the 3 roads plus the fireroad) up Ventoux in one day fixed - think it was 48x18 he had. The descending in particular sounded punishing and not enjoyable at all, unlike what it would be like on a freewheel so a flip flop might be a good idea.

simon.r

Person
Some years ago I struggled up an Alpine pass using 22/32 on my mountain bike. Of course, if I'd had sensible tyres fitted and not 2.3" knobblies I'd have used 44/11. Possibly:rolleyes:

I did speak to an American lady who passed me riding fixed, so it's definitely doable. Just not by me!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I struggled on a 0.92 gear ratio on 6km of 10% gradient.
However ridiculously low your gearing is, sometimes the hill is even more ridiculously steep!

DreamBig

I came across a nice app called Bike Gear Calculator, I had the same issues with gears. this gear calculator gave me the answers I needed. As it turned out there are so many things to take into consideration.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bike-gear-calculator/id505985340?ls=1&mt=8

OP
OP
S

Simone Vasco

So at the end I did it!
1007 miles in 10 days.
Fixed 48/16 until Stuttgart then it was just too much so I switched to 48/17 freewheel. Passes weren't that difficult even though it was snowing A LOT the day I climbed Fernpass in Austria. On a side note Northern Italy dolomites are just awesome and so is the Val Venosta valley. Great experience. I posted every day on Strava and uploaded pictures in my twitter page if you're interested let me know.

Top Bottom