Clincher tyres on tubeless wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will Spin

Über Member
Yes you are right about fitting them. However so far very good at avoiding punctures compared with other tyres that I've tried.

Bodkin

Regular
I am thinking of putting sealant in the inner tube that way I don't have to buy expensive tubeless tyres and it will still be easy to change the tube if I need to. I don't know if it will work as I have not tried it yet.

davidphilips

Veteran
After many years of winter cycling and a lot of trial and error and visits from the puncture fairy i have came to the view unless tannus solid bike tyres or similar are fitted (as used by raceingroadkill) best way i have to avoid punctures is to fit armadillo tyres on my winter bike, a bit harder to push but have not had a puncture with them as yet.

Tubeless seem to work for many cyclists but for me its Armadillo/winter bike and mud guards and look forward to better weather and an instant speed increase when one of my spoilt good bikes come out of hibernation.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I am thinking of putting sealant in the inner tube that way I don't have to buy expensive tubeless tyres and it will still be easy to change the tube if I need to. I don't know if it will work as I have not tried it yet.
You can buy tubes pre-filled with sealant - "Slime" branded, usually.

Generally, sealant in inner tubes doesn't work as well as sealant in tyres.
You are best off if your tubes are a little oversized, so they aren't stretched much, if at all, when you pump them up. Something like a 32-38 tube in a 28 tyre.

There's also the matter of finding tubes with removable valve cores, so you can add the sealant without clogging the valve.

Top Bottom