clip in shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jondavies

hi, i am new to this forum.
I have just bought a new cannondale bike, i haven't ever really cycled before. is there a big benefit to buying clip in shoes? I hve a watt bike at home, could clip ins for my bike also be used on that?
thanks, jon

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It helps with smooth pedalling and, as distance increases, reduces the chance of injury.

I'd suggest for now just get used to riding. Riding clipless can follow later as not everyone does.

For a Wattbike then yes, it's a good start however to get used to it.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
No not especially. Been doing road for a couple of years up to about 50miles some rides. Never felt a big urge to be clipped in. In fact I rather enjoy overtaking more 'serious' cyclists whilst I am wearing trainers and a backpack.

vickster

Legendary Member
I used SPDs (recessed MTB type, NOT SPD-SL road type) for a number of years and probably did find it better just about. I've had to revert to flats due to lack of bend in an arthritic knee. I have to say that (although I've not done more than 30 odd miles), it's liberating to be able to walk around even more easily than in SPD shoes and have no concerns about a clipless moment (not that I've had more than one of two).

I have however had to buy a load of flat pedals, and have a bag of SPD ones in the spares box and a number of pairs of shoes gathering dust!
I just wear a pair of Adidas trail running trainers

simongt

Guru
As can be seen, clipless or not is a very personal thing. Except for my Brompton, all my bikes have M515 / M520 SPDs and I prefer them. SPD shoes / boots make walking pretty easy and don't make you look like you're an escapee from the Tour de France - ! :laugh: However, you are restricted to the type of shoes you can wear on the bike, as obviously they have to be fitted with cleats. Having said that, I've always got on with them, so maybe for certain riding, they'll suit you. :thumbsup:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Re your Wattbike question. Yes, provided you have the same pedals on the Wattbike as on your bike-bike.

As to whether or not to use clipless (aka clip-in) pedals at all. It's a personal choice. Some people have strong views. My suggestion would be to ride with flats (ordinary pedals) while you get used to the new bike and then later on return to the question of pedals. But it's just a suggestion.

Another trainer rider here. Never really been a problem as long as the grip is good. I have pretty wide feet so decided to stay in trainers. I know there are benefits of being clipped in. I think if you decide to go that way you`ll be fine, as long as you unclip when you stop.

OldShep

Über Member
Rode clipped in for 20 years and my old ATAC pedals got old and switched to Shimano and didn’t like them. 6 months later I changed to flat and there I’ve been for 3 years now I’ve noticed no disadvantage. Indeed I’ve noticed the advantage of wear what shoes you like and walk where you want.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've never seen the point or felt the need to use clipless pedals. I don't wear Lycra or padded cycling shorts either. My approach is just to go for a ride when I feel like it or it is the quickest most convenient way of travelling a few miles. I'm not interested in maximising either speed or power output. Clipless may well have marginal benefits for racing or keeping your feet in place if riding a fixed gear at high cadences, but for normal utility or recreational cycling I regard them as pure window dressing.
In fact, in one respect they are worse than flat pedals, because they are footwear-restrictive they remove the spontaneous aspect that can be positive about cycling. If you have flats, you can casually hop on and go somewhere without any pre-planning, because you can ride with whatever footwear you already have on. The way I look at it, the less faff and ritual that going for a ride involves, the more often you are likely to actually choose to cycle.
Essentially I would say cyclists fall broadly into two camps. There are those who take it all really seriously, with power meters and ride data and training plans and nutrition. Most of this camp will favour clipless.
Then you've got the casual flat pedal camp who just don't care about things like speed and power, but enjoy cycling in a more spontaneous and less scientific manner.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've never seen the point or felt the need to use clipless pedals. I don't wear Lycra or padded cycling shorts either. My approach is just to go for a ride when I feel like it or it is the quickest most convenient way of travelling a few miles. I'm not interested in maximising either speed or power output. Clipless may well have marginal benefits for racing or keeping your feet in place if riding a fixed gear at high cadences, but for normal utility or recreational cycling I regard them as pure window dressing.
In fact, in one respect they are worse than flat pedals, because they are footwear-restrictive they remove the spontaneous aspect that can be positive about cycling. If you have flats, you can casually hop on and go somewhere without any pre-planning, because you can ride with whatever footwear you already have on. The way I look at it, the less faff and ritual that going for a ride involves, the more often you are likely to actually choose to cycle.
Essentially I would say cyclists fall broadly into two camps. There are those who take it all really seriously, with power meters and ride data and training plans and nutrition. Most of this camp will favour clipless.
Then you've got the casual flat pedal camp who just don't care about things like speed and power, but enjoy cycling in a more spontaneous and less scientific manner.
And there are plenty of riders in between racing snake and Luddite :whistle:

Re your Wattbike question. Yes, provided you have the same pedals on the Wattbike as on your bike-bike.

As to whether or not to use clipless (aka clip-in) pedals at all. It's a personal choice. Some people have strong views. My suggestion would be to ride with flats (ordinary pedals) while you get used to the new bike and then later on return to the question of pedals. But it's just a suggestion.

yes very much this approach. I am a fan of wellgo platform/spd pedals - a flat normal pedal on one side -SPD on the other. I use these on my commuter bike - my son has to grips with clipless pretty quickly using this approach.

simongt

Guru
Agree. Although I favour clipless for longer rides, for my city bike; now a Brompton, so clipless isn't really an option, I prefer flat pedals mainly because i wear different types of shoes / boots around town thus making clipless too restricting. But I still believe that whatever works for you, stick with it. :thumbsup:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
On paper it's better and I'd not want to be without my clipless setup. It is however not the night-and-day different, entry badge to "serious" cycling that some would have you believe, and very much a matter of personal preference.

I'd just crack on with riding the bike to start with and see how you go from there :smile:

Top Bottom