Clipess - how much better?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
brill

the man in the LBS said 50-60%,m of what I'm still not sure

they make a huge difference, you feel like a proper cyclist

OP
OP
K

Kobie

Thanks folks - looks pretty unanimous then ;) I've just got myself a new tourer, so I want to get used to that before adding the extras, but clipless does seem the way to go!

leoc

I'm probably going to get my first set of clipless at the wknd too. I understand that there would be a massive improvement over flats, but I've been using toeclips for a while now, so is there likely to be a big difference going from toeclips with straps to clipless?

bonj2

it's definitely better, but not that much of a performance benefit although it is a bit so you might aswell do it. Just feels better and more connected. Wouldn't ever have them on a MTB though - would be a bit like putting dump valves on a landrover.

bonj2

Kobie said:
Thanks folks - looks pretty unanimous then ;) I've just got myself a new tourer, so I want to get used to that before adding the extras, but clipless does seem the way to go!

Definitely get double-sided ones, and the ones meant for MTBs (SPD), the ones meant for roadies (SPD-SL) are silly as you can't walk in the shoes as the cleats are sticking out - which seems a ridiculous idea to me, but hey. They like them though because they've got stiff soles.
Roadie ones I think are also single-sided which makes it a lot harder to clip in to them.

domtyler

Über Member
bonj said:
Definitely get double-sided ones, and the ones meant for MTBs (SPD), the ones meant for roadies (SPD-SL) are silly as you can't walk in the shoes as the cleats are sticking out - which seems a ridiculous idea to me, but hey. They like them though because they've got stiff soles.
Roadie ones I think are also single-sided which makes it a lot harder to clip in to them.

In other words, he has never used roadie style pedals but has heard some overstated pitfalls and is now recounting them for us. Cheers for that bonj.

The truth is they are easier to get into and out of than MTB style ones,
you can walk short distances easily once you get used to it,
they have very stiff soles and together with the pedals are super efficient for pedaling,
they only need to be single sided as they automatically correct themselves to be hanging down the right way.

However a lot of less confident and/or older cyclists prefer SPDs so I wouldn't dismiss them altogether.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
domtyler said:
However a lot of less confident and/or older cyclists prefer SPDs so I wouldn't dismiss them altogether.

What has age got to do with it?

SPD-SL are fine if all you doing is racing, but if you are cycling as a means of transport i.e. commuting, touring, going to the shops etc, then MTB style SPDs are a lot more convenient.

As for confidence, that just show the level of arrogance of some roadies!

Tynan

Veteran
leoc said:
I'm probably going to get my first set of clipless at the wknd too. I understand that there would be a massive improvement over flats, but I've been using toeclips for a while now, so is there likely to be a big difference going from toeclips with straps to clipless?

I used toe clips for ages and thought they were good, it's another league again, you clip your feet in and forget about them thereafter and concentrate on your legs

skwerl

Hairy Jock said:
What has age got to do with it?

SPD-SL are fine if all you doing is racing, but if you are cycling as a means of transport i.e. commuting, touring, going to the shops etc, then MTB style SPDs are a lot more convenient.

As for confidence, that just show the level of arrogance of some roadies!

Agreed. MTB cleats are much better if you're unclipping 20 odd times along your commute, especially if it's wet. Road shoes aren't any stiffer than decent MTB shoes, the difference is that MTB shoes have grippy soles.
Road cleats give a bigger platform and I find them more comfy on long rides. I'd say they're harder to unclip from but that's probably cos my egg beaters (which I wouldn't recommend unless you want to change cleats every 4 months) are easy to unclip. Road cleats are easy enough to clip into

peejay78

one-sided pedals are weighted and ridiculously easy to clip into.

road pedals with a bigger cleat are made for cycling, not walking.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Commuting and off road - proper double sided spd's.

Road work then deffo SPD SL, TIME or LOOK (or egg beaters etc) - the cleat is bigger, more stable, shoes stiffer - I prefer them for distance/low stop rides.

Top Bottom