Clipess - how much better?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
Argh! I had two falls thanks to my clipless pedals in my 20 mile ride this morning. Having had a successful first ride out using them a couple of days ago I obviously switched off today:tongue:
First one was the classic "forgot to clip out, topple over in middle of the road" job. The second was when I'd been waiting at a busy junction for ages and decided to make a go for it. After pushing forward to go I realised the gap wasn't big enough and tried to walk myself backwards whilst still clipped in with one foot. Not a good idea:blush:
It must look soooo stupid to non cyclists!:rolleyes:

Tynan

Veteran
supposedly everyones been there etc etc

haven't fallen yet in three months but I have had some near misses, including today where I got over interested in a lady cyclist's thigh while balancing tippy toe and over balancing

luckily they come out ok with a panicky yank

Tynan

Veteran
it'd take more than a yank to get them out with the shorts I wear, spec if still clipped in on one side

barq

Joe said:
Argh! I had two falls thanks to my clipless pedals in my 20 mile ride this morning. Having had a successful first ride out using them a couple of days ago I obviously switched off today:tongue:

I think that's pretty much normal! :rolleyes:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
definately a good move. if you don't intend on being off the bike for long there is nothing to beat a good set of road cleats (look, spd-sl etc). they give a better transfer of power to the pedal than spds. however, if you plan to walk a lot then spds are a good option, and there are even people who wear them on a flat club run on account of walking from bike to café counter.

i personally only run looks, (although mtb has a cheap pair of spd pedals) but that's just my preference and we are all different.

any clipless > any clips and straps

twowheelsgood

For a touring bike, look at the Shimano A520 pedals. These are a single-sided pedal but use normal SPD. This means you can use standard mountain or touring shoes but still have a larger contact patch for comfort and efficiency. Really I wouldn't even consider SPD-SL for touring, the shoes just aren't suitable, you really can't shop or go to the pub in them.

longers

Legendary Member
Come winter I will be putting my platforms back on my commuting bike. I think they're going to feel like s**t in comparison. I haven't used them for months now.

The reason I'll be fiiting them again is that I only have the one pair of spd compatible shoes and commute twice a day. When they're cold and wet they'll stay like that for days.

Hang on! This is an excuse to buy more shoes. I will not be fitting the platforms this winter;)

bonj2

domtyler said:
The truth is they are easier to get into and out of than MTB style ones
bollocks.
I have used them in fact, and the ones I tried although they were usually hanging down the right way, if the crank arms were moving at the time when I was trying to clip my right foot in or my right foot knocked it, this could send it spinning round the wrong way - hence why I find MTB ones easier to clip in to. Maybe it's just my method - I tend to leave my left foot clipped in at the top, and when setting off push my left pedal down and clip my right foot in when the right pedal's near the top.

domtyler said:
you can walk short distances easily once you get used to it,
Yeah but it damages the cleats more.

For me MTB ones are better because I like being able to use the shoes just as normal shoes, I can walk round in them all day comfortably, drive in them, go to work in them - just like any other shoes - and I can't see any advantage I would get from having single-sided roadie pedals, but I can understand why a lot of people like them - a lot of roadies with all the drop handlebars and the lycra jerseys etc wouldn't be seen dead without the 'right' pedals.

I might add that I have never had a fall due to clipless pedals....

bonj2

andy_wrx;31219][quote name= said:
Wouldn't ever have them on a MTB though

I would very much have them on a MTB - without them, your feet are bounced off the pedals at the slightest bump and it's downright dangerous.[/QUOTE]
only if you're sitting on the saddle going over bumps - which I personally never do! I sometimes have to 'find' my right foot position but only ever when I'm setting off. I can be riding really rocky/rooty trails and be confident of not losing my footing even though I've got crap shoes. I have got good pedals though, I think this makes a big difference.

luke's fleche

I find clipless pedals so much easier because you use the full 360 degree pedal stroke both a push and a pull but with flats you just get the push unless you use toe clips

hope this is some help to you

chfp77

Defo much better going clipless.Few different types out there,i use look single side on my good bike(the one i race on) and use crank bros on my second bike.Get much more secure lock with the look so its harder to accidentally pull your foot out when your really going for it,but the crank bros are really good for getting in and out easier!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Once you go clipless you will never want to go back. Massive power increase and more strength in your legs. You can not get better than that!!! If you are on an MTB take a look at the Shimano M520's - Great kit for the price.

ASC1951

Guru
Going back to your original question. For me:-

Clipless - about 15% more efficient than nothing

Rigid shoes - about another 15% more efficient than trainers

Double sided for MTBs, single-sided on the road. Shoes with recessed cleats for both.

NB. 1. Racers generally use Look style cleats, which transfer more power (but are less convenient off the bike).
2. I made the figures up, but they won't be far out.

Top Bottom