Clipess - how much better?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Downward

Guru
Tynan said:
supposedly everyones been there etc etc

haven't fallen yet in three months but I have had some near misses, including today where I got over interested in a lady cyclist's thigh while balancing tippy toe and over balancing

luckily they come out ok with a panicky yank

Be Careful when yanking, especially with a woman in sight.

Downward

Guru
Oh and on the loosest setting all you need to do is wiggle your toes and you come unclipped.

If you get them asap after starting riding you get used to them so quickly.
I think I bought mine having only done 30 miles with the normal pedals.

lantern rouge

just gone clipless thanks to santa claus with some shimano shoes, pedals and SPD-SL "yellow" cleats.

Really pleased I did it, no falls yet, but still at the "furtive practising up and down the street in the dark" stage

now for some Lycra! ;)

Randochap

Senior hunter
As already mentioned, SPD if you spend any amount of time off the bike.

The limiting factor (for some) of all clipless systems but one is the amount of "float" (freedom of lateral movement), though most systems these days give enough for most people, from a biomechanical point of view.

Even given a small amount of float, the systems will always be guiding the foot back, due to spring tension, and this can present problems -- usually in the knees.

The one pedal/cleat system that avoids the issue altogether is made by Speedplay.

The Speedplay system moves the spring mechanism into the cleat and essentially allows unlimited float, without the tendency to re-centre.

The feeling for some is like skating on ice, but this soon feels normal. In fact, it feels natural because, especially out of the saddle, you are able to sway the bike without it yanking your feet around unnaturally.

I felt an immediate increase in power because of this freedom. And less knee problems because now my feet have re-assumed their natural (unnatural?;)) gait.

What's more, Speedplay have one of the largest platforms of any clipless system, due not to the little "lollipop" pedal, but the big cleat area.

The downside is that you must avoid clogging the cleat with mud and/or gravel. "Cafe caps" are available and I just pop those on when I'm off the bike.

Top Bottom