Your Pedal Choice for Commuting is...

• Clipless

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Flats + Toeclips

• Flats only

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Just out of interest, how many of you ride clipless on the commute?

I'm currently on flats (w/o toe clips) but am tempted by clipless because my rat trap pedals have wrecked my trainers and my feet slide around horribly on them in the wet...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I occasionally ride my bikes with trainers, but I wouldn't like to go any distance without proper shoes and clipless. There's just no comparison, it's safer, faster, and more comfortable, IMO.

longers

Legendary Member
I'm a recent (6 months) convert to clipless on my commuting bike (had them on fast bike for longer) and I would not change back ever at all ever.

For the last couple on months I've put the SPD's back on the commuter and much prefer them. I only commute 8-10miles (round) and I use the bike for pottering around shopping etc (any clothes/ shoes) and I'm considering putting the flats and Toe clips back on. For distance however the SPD's rule.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
You missed out the asymmetric clipless and flat peddle such as the Shimano M324, which from a commuting point of view is real useful are you have a choice when going through an area with lot of traffic lights.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I did indeed HJ - I can't find how to change the poll though, sorry :biggrin:

Are those pedals weighted so the SPD side faces up naturally?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Aperitif said:
I only have Look pedals - pain in the butt to change the cleats now and again following the putting down of foot onto tarmac at red lights etc:rolleyes:...but most comfortable.

I have Looks on the 'bent, and SPDs on the fixed wheel. I do manage to avoid some wear on the Looks, because I don't need to unclip at traffic lights, my bent is low enough that I can put a hand on the ground to balance. :biggrin:

Time RXS

ash68

yeh, clipless for me too, as mentioned shimano 520's or 540's depending on which bike I'm on. Couldn't go back to flat pedals after all these years with clipless. Once you get used to them, they are hard to beat

neslon

Looks on the roadie when theres no salt/water to mess up , asymmetric SPD on the hybrid. When I have to ride flats, it feels well unstable (although on the MTB I still prefer them - think I'm a bit wussy)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
John the Monkey said:

To change the poll I think you have to be very nice to one of the mods or Shaun, but I am not sure if even they can do it, not that it really matters.

John the Monkey said:

I find the SPD side faces up most of the time, I didn't choose the pedals they just came with the bike, and before I got SPD shoes I used to find it a wee bit of a pain. Having got the right shoe they great...:biggrin:

doyler78

John the Monkey said:

On the 324 which I use I find that the spd when you initially push off falls naturally spd side up however if you wait just slightly longer it actually swings back to a flat pedal side. As I ride flat pedals due to hip/knee probs it always annoyed me having to flick the pedals until I discovered that this is what happened naturally if only I had waited just a tad longer before putting my foot back on the pedal. It really doesn't affect moving off at all as the delay is very minor.

Top Bottom