Clipless for beginners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

thank you for the reassurance

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Don't get me wrong, the 56 cleats are great for foot position retention as in fact a lot of MTBers prefer them for being able to get unclipped fast and you are less likely to topple off in a 'clipless moment' as pulling up releases them. However as someone who was used to the '51' cleats (and has had a few moments where I couldn't get out in time) it came as a bit of a shock when they released as I was pulling up on the pedals uphill)

BTW at the time I didn't know about the 'Multi Release' function of the 56s, they just came with the new pedals I bought and I fitted them to my new shoes (purchased the same day) :ohmy:

simonali

Guru
I'd disagree, I far prefer clipless in all conditions

Me, too. I got my first pair of Look pedals and shoes in 1986-7. I'd seen Hinault and then LeMond wear them to TdF victory and thought I'm a gonna get me some a dem! I then tried Time pedals for a while before settling on SPD in 1993 for the easier walking bit.

ianbarton

Veteran
One thing I don't think anyone else has mentioned is getting the cleats in the right position on the shoes. There are loads of YouTube videos about this. However, don't start off with them right at the front of the shoe, which is where my LBS put mine the first time I had cleats. This is the wrong position for just about everybody. If you aren't sure try putting them a couple of centimetres back from the front of their furthest forward position. If you start to notice the soles of your feet getting sore, or your knees hurt they are in the wrong position. Probably best to get somebody who knows what they are doing to set them up for you.

OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

One thing I don't think anyone else has mentioned is getting the cleats in the right position on the shoes. There are loads of YouTube videos about this. However, don't start off with them right at the front of the shoe, which is where my LBS put mine the first time I had cleats. This is the wrong position for just about everybody. If you aren't sure try putting them a couple of centimetres back from the front of their furthest forward position. If you start to notice the soles of your feet getting sore, or your knees hurt they are in the wrong position. Probably best to get somebody who knows what they are doing to set them up for you.

im getting a bike fit at 1230 today ^_^

OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

So I had my bike fit yesterday, done by Sergio in Horley. I have to say he could not have been more helpful or indeed professional. he fitted the cleats to the shoes for me and got to best position he could, then proceeded to take all the measurements with me on the turbo trainer. I even managed to ride 5 miles home clipped in ! Worth mentioning also that the rate was incredibly good value.
Did a 15 mile this morning and I have to say that I absolutely loved being clipped in and still didn't fall off lol. My two penneth for the clipless debate is suck it and see!
the only thing I had this morning was some tingling in the toes, I'm assuming that will be me just getting used to the set up.

Top Bottom