Clipless moment #1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hotmetal

I suffered a similar fate in the middle of Rickmansworth High St on a Saturday. I'd been riding clipless for years, but what I didn't realise (as I took a very posh MTB for a test ride) was that Shimano clips go into Specialized pedals easily, but require a tactical nuke to get them to release. I felt a right muppet, but trying to explain to amused onlookers that
a) it wasn't MY expensive bike that I was incapable of riding, and
:biggrin: the finer points of pedal non-compatibility ought to be taken into account
would probably not have helped.

martint235

Dog on a bike
DavieB said:
Its getting the front bit lined up, the pedals always end up the wrong way round :sad: Look Keo brand.

Might need greasing a bit. When your foot isn't in the pedal, the weight of the clip should drag the heel down so that the toe of the pedal is pointing upwards. Rather than foot your foot on top of the pedal, try bringing your foot from underneath, then pushing the toe of the pedal with the toe of your shoe, the pedal should level under your foot and the cleat should slide in.

Then again I still have days when the bl***y cleat won't go in first time :biggrin: Today was an example!:biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
If you use clipless pedals then clipless moments are inevitable, I have had more falls due to clipless moments than any other cause. Fortunately they only happen at when stationary so the risk of injury is low, well apart from the time I cracked two ribs...

DavieB said:
Is it only me who has bother clipping "in" and not "out"?
You are not the only one, quite often I can get clipped in first time no problem but if I miss sometimes it becomes a right pain :ohmy: Like most people I've had the clipless moment but generally (until the next moment :smile: ) I can clip out easy and when I've really needed to the feet have came out almost without thinking.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
DavieB said:
Is it only me who has bother clipping "in" and not "out"?

I've been riding clipless with Shimano mtb pedals/cleats and Spesh mtb shoes for years.

Got some A530's for a road bike, picked up a pair of Spesh BG Sport MTB shoes cheap, wanted something more rigid than my commute shoes (Tahoes) for Sunday morning (road) club runs, fitted nice shiney black cleats to said nice shiney black shoes.

Getting "out" piece of cake, slightly more "knackier" maybe with the single release cleats than the multi release ones I use on ever other pair of shoes. But getting "in", on the move, left foot, maybe 1 go in 3 works. Frustrating and comedic in equal measure. I feel and look like a noob all over again.

Norm

hotmetal said:
I suffered a similar fate in the middle of Rickmansworth High St on a Saturday. I'd been riding clipless for years, but what I didn't realise (as I took a very posh MTB for a test ride) was that Shimano clips go into Specialized pedals easily, but require a tactical nuke to get them to release. I felt a right muppet, but trying to explain to amused onlookers that
a) it wasn't MY expensive bike that I was incapable of riding, and
B) the finer points of pedal non-compatibility ought to be taken into account
would probably not have helped.
;) Pillock! :biggrin:

hotmetal

Ah, Norm, you say that now, but as a recent convert to SPDs yourself, if I were you I'd wear your invisibility cloak for a bit cos you just know it'll happen to you too!

Top Bottom