Clipless pedals recommendation please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Since injuring my lower back I have less twisting power in my foot to unclip, I have SPD's and usually twist my foot outwards to unclip and now can't get out of them. It's a right pain as I have had to resort to flat pedals and shoes, which has really slowed me down.

Are there alternatives to SPD's that are easier to get in and out of? Thinking about Speedplays, but really would like to try before I shell out £££

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You can get multi release spd (SH_56) Cleats which unclip by pulling up as well as sideways

Thanks for the advice, I am going to try magped as they have a 30 day returns policy and 3 hole fixing so no need for new shoes
Don’t forget to check the duty policy so as its over £135.

Was going to suggest Look Keos, they are easier to clip in and out of than shimanos system and the float options are slightly better 0/4.5/9 vs shimanos 0/2/6.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a pair of click-R pedals. I bought them because I wanted SPDs with reflectors and they were the only ones that I found when I searched at the time.

Anyway, they are just like normal SPDs except they have a slightly "squishy" feel on engagement and are much easier to release. (This is with normal standard cleats). But I've never accidentally released from them. I quite like them.

freiston

Veteran
I have a pair of click-R pedals. I bought them because I wanted SPDs with reflectors and they were the only ones that I found when I searched at the time.

Anyway, they are just like normal SPDs except they have a slightly "squishy" feel on engagement and are much easier to release. (This is with normal standard cleats). But I've never accidentally released from them. I quite like them.

Same here - I have the PD-T400 pedals.

I was looking at the current offerings recently (fantasising about a new bike build) and couldn't find any double-sided (i.e. SPD on both sides) reflector Click'R pedals in stock anywhere, which I find disconcerting.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Same here - I have the PD-T400 pedals.

I was looking at the current offerings recently (fantasising about a new bike build) and couldn't find any double-sided (i.e. SPD on both sides) reflector Click'R pedals in stock anywhere, which I find disconcerting.

PD-T400 Those are exactly the ones I have. They seem to have been replaced by PD-T421.

freiston

Veteran

Wow! They're asking £61 for them - the usual price is about £45 (despite Tredz showing them reduced from £65).
PD-T400 Those are exactly the ones I have. They seem to have been replaced by PD-T421.
The PD-T421 is a single-sided SPD. I thought it is a concurrent model rather than a replacement but I don't know for sure.

Good morning,

At the risk of appearing a luddite, are you totally dismissing Toe Clips and straps? :smile:

If you have never used them, I reckon that there are four ways to use them but my loss number are very approximate.

Cycling shoes with shoe plates/quill pedals and straps fully done up.
Loss To Clipless: 0%
This is madness nowadays, it was the old racers' system and it is a far worse solution for public roads and much more dangerous than any clipless system. It is also very difficult to buy shoe plates anyway.

MTB cycling shoes and straps fully done.
Loss To Clipless: 5%-10%
A lot of the benefits of clipless and can be chosen for certain parts of the ride, but you do need to grow the confidence to reach down and release the straps. Oddly I feel totally comfortable doing this but really stressed with SPD!

MTB cycling shoes and straps almost done up.
Loss To Clipless: 10%
This takes practice, if you can get the straps done up so that the foot can just enter and leave the clips you get a lot of the benefits of clips. By just I mean that if you try to pull up out of the saddle on a climb the shoe moves off the pedal by a few mm and then the clip and strap retain the foot.

MTB cycling shoes and straps fully undone.
Loss To Clipless: 20%
This has the benefit of keeping your feet in the right position on the pedals, which can avoid discomfort that is a result of foot slipping backwards and pedalling with the sole of the foot.

The point about MTB shoes is that they usually have soles that provide a little bit of anchorage themselves.

I recently gave SPD another go, for about 1,000 miles and was so relieved when I stopped and went back to platforms or clips/straps. It's tempting to believe that the whole world rides clipless and you would be odd if you didn't.

Bye

Ian

freiston

Veteran
I think that toeclips are a different kettle of fish (for context, I used toeclips and straps for many years before going SPD).

With the straps done up, they are less safe than clipless - you need to get your hand down to release the buckle before being able to remove your foot.

With the straps fully loose, there's a lot of movement including vertically - it's not the same as float because your shoe is effectively detached from the pedal but limited to how far it can move away from the pedal. To a lesser extent, the same is true with the straps partially loosened. Toeclips can be troublesome to orientate for foot entry (but you can use the other side of the pedal and go into the clip later on - though this can cause the clip to strike the ground). With partially loosened straps, you can end up struggling to get your foot in (certainly more so than Click'R) - particularly troublesome at busy junctions.

With anything other than tightened straps, I found that I had a tendency to push my toes uncomfortably into the front of the clip.

I used them for years and certainly at the time preferred them to no clips but I much prefer SPDs now (currently using Click'R). I do have a folding bike without clips or clipless system and find them as natural to use as SPDs. Saying that, the folding bike has a top gear of only 70" and I sometimes find myself lifting my foot off the pedal on the upstroke. I sometimes miss being able to turn my crank into the right position ready for the off at a junction without having to move my foot under the pedal to do so.

Top Bottom