Close pass advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daninplymouth

Hi, just wanted some others opinions on what to do. On my ride this morning I was in this cycle lane

As you come off the roundabout it is 2 lanes which merge into one and just after this the cycle lanes ends so I keep to the right of the lane, also no one really uses that outside lane. So a big aggregate lorry went past and in my eyes he was pretty much on the cycle lane and very close to me. This wound me up then just further along the road there was a blockage so the traffic stopped I came down the outside and said give me more room next time he got all mouthy and so did I and his reason was I was in the cycle lane and he was in his lane, now surely especially being a large vehicle he should still give me more room as in his eyes if I’m right by the right line inside the lane and he is the other side then there’s about 2” paint separating us. Now it takes another twist, I’m now in front of the lorry so I got my phone out to take a photo of his reg and he just drove at me and actually hit me. Iv reported him to the company and they are going to investigate but I’m not sure whether I should report him to the police or how to go about this seeing as he actually drove at me and made contact. Now I was going to wait and see what the company say incase it looks different and if he did make an effort not to pass close then I’d hold my hands up and apologise but I’m sure he was so close to me and didn’t attempt to give me any more room as he passed and that was the issue it’s not like he couldn’t give me room there’s an empty lane right beside him but then seeing as he drove at me whilst I was in front of his cab that sort of takes it to the next level. What would you do?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'd report to local police as well, given he drove at you to intimidate you with 6 ton of truck. If it were close pass alone, i wouldn't have bothered.

it should have cab footage, which the company should look at, but the police can request it if necessary.

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

I didn’t get anything but he had a dashcam fitted. Didn’t know whether to let the company look first or take it to the next level straight away. As above just a close pass I’d have probably just reported it and that be it but the fact he drove when he knew I was in front of him could’ve been fatal if I didn’t get out of the way

Yup - cops
even if the company has deleted the video the fact that a police car drives up to talk to them might make them do something

and a visit from the cops should at least make them actually look for the cab video - whereas if they are just reacting to 'some bloke moaning' they may or may not
and of they find the driver has managed to delete the video this might be enough to cause him problems - like unemployment which is fair enough after what he did!!

Dan77

I'd absolutely report it to the police. Close pass I wouldn't waste my time but driving a truck at you is really serious.

A witness would be useful. Failing that, I hope the dash cam footage is available.

The guy should face charges and if all is as you say, he should have his HGV licence taken off him at the very least. I'd think a driving ban is in order too. Potentially he could face much more serious charges depending on what the incident actually looks like on footage.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I got my phone out to take a photo of his reg and he just drove at me and actually hit me. Iv reported him to the company and they are going to investigate but I’m not sure whether I should report him to the police or how to go about this seeing as he actually drove at me and made contact.
Unacceptable driver behaviour (the post discussion bit). But you are being a bit coy about the collision. "actually hit me" and "made contact" and I think the police would wish to understand the 'actual' contact (what with what) and the immediate result of that.

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

Unacceptable driver behaviour (the post discussion bit). But you are being a bit coy about the collision. "actually hit me" and "made contact" and I think the police would wish to understand the 'actual' contact (what with what) and the immediate result of that.
As I rode up the outside I shouted to give me more room, he then gestured to pull over which I did. The car in front had stopped and was out of the car there was a big bit of hedge blocking the lane and he was moving that out the way so I put my bike against the hedge unclipped and walked around towards the drivers door after we both exchanged a few words. I was heading back to my bike which was in front of him, I stopped got my phone out of my pocket and as I went to snap the number plate he drove at me, not being completely stupid I wouldn’t try and stand my ground against something like that so I stepped to side and the front of his cab hit my shoulder.
The more I think about it the more I think I should proceed with the police as being a driver myself I’d never get into a proper argument with someone in a work vehicle let alone then proceed to drive at a vulnerable road user whilst driving a big truck full of sand and gravel

Alba Zeus

Über Member
As others have said the close pass is probably a pointless endeavour but you really should be reporting him for driving at you.

Even just so the plod have it on record should he run over someone next time.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Is your shoulder OK? Did your clothing show damage? If you and the vehicle collided you, you should report it (to the police). And so should the driver, btw. Aiui it is an offence not to do so, if there has been injury. But others here will know the law very well indeed.
Road Traffic Act (1988):
If you’re driving a motorised vehicle and are involved in an 'accident' which causes damage or injury to another person, vehicle, . . . you must stop and give your vehicle registration along with your name and address to “anyone with reasonable grounds to be asking for those details”.
ETA: You're using odd language again: "he pushed past me". "After our converstion at the driver's door I went back to my bike on the side of the road ahead of the vehicle. The road was single carriageway, quite narrow and had double white lines. The vehicle moved forward and I thought he was aiming to hit me. I attempted to move out of the way right against the road's edge but the vehicle continued to move and my shoulder was hit by the vehicle. I think the driver will have known that he hit me. I took a photo as the vehicle drove away up the hill."

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Report it to the police, within 24 hours. The driver has the same legal obligation as there was injury.

Report at your local police station, not via 101, and not as a close pass but a deliberate attempt to run you down. The driver used their vehicle as a weapon.

Vehicle is registered as a white IVECO.

Consider removing the picture from your post.

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

There is no injury to myself so on that point I’m not bothered.
By push past me I mean drive at me. The road was blocked by a fallen hedge. After he implied to pull over and that he wanted to get out I pulled in front of him and walk towards his drivers door we exchanged words then I walked back to my bike as the road was now clear I stopped to snap his reg and he just pulled away with me stood there hence why I struck the front drivers side and then caught the back of his lorry from the middle of the road. There would have been some witnesses as a lady on the opposite carriageway asked if I was ok. If I get a few close pass then il call the driver a t**t and move on it’s just the move he tried to pull then was I completely stupid on his side.
I have emailed the local police, tried calling but was on hold for ages, we also have an online reporting thing but that will only upload a video and all I have is a photo of the reg so couldn’t complete it

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

The only thing I can assume is he got annoyed behind me as just before the roundabout I was in the middle of one lane going towards the roundabout so he tried to issue a punishment pass. The cycle lane here is always full of cars and today there was a van and car in the way so I stay in the road rather than swerve in and out. Baring in mind this in an average speed camera zone at 30mph and I do 20-30mph along it depending on the day and there is 2 lanes onto the roundabout to head straight on and off so it’s not like I would’ve been holding him up

Top Bottom