Close pass advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan77

You were in the cycle lane in your first post. You're now in the middle of a traffic lane.

That's not to say the driver didn't act appallingly but if you're going to speak to the police then make sure you have the facts clear and don't contradict yourself.

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

You were in the cycle lane in your first post. You're now in the middle of a traffic lane.

That's not to say the driver didn't act appallingly but if you're going to speak to the police then make sure you have the facts clear and don't contradict yourself.
No I was in the traffic lane up to just before the roundabout then I moved into it as it was clear and stayed there. The lorry passed me about 100mtrs after the roundabout

Solocle

Über Member
Report it as attempted murder. That'll at least catch the police's attention, and, had you not been able to get out of the way, that could very easily have been the outcome.

It probably won't be prosecuted as such, as they need to prove intent to kill. But the act of driving at you escalates this above a hit and run collision.

N.b. a cyclist has no duty to report a collision, a driver does.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Report it as attempted murder. That'll at least catch the police's attention, and, had you not been able to get out of the way, that could very easily have been the outcome.

It probably won't be prosecuted as such, as they need to prove intent to kill. But the act of driving at you escalates this above a hit and run collision.

N.b. a cyclist has no duty to report a collision, a driver does.
Err no. You even acknowledge it is unlikely to be prosecuted as such.
Dorset police have an online reporting facility for video footage, but as that doesn't exist, a personal appearance at the cop shop, as suggested upthread, is likely to be the way to go. Paging @Drago

classic33

Leg End Member
@Daninplymouth
Get a map of the route taken, and using streetview, as you have been. Show what the actual road markings are at each point you mentioned, and the location of both vehicles at each.

Not as daft as it sounds as you may be speaking to someone who has no idea of the road layout at the points in question. You never mentioned there were double white lines* where you stopped for instance. He shouldn't have been attempting an overtake at that point.

*I doubt you noticed them either.

I'm going to come at this from a different angle. What actually happened is hard for me to determine. However, if he deliberately drove into you then something should be done.

But..... This is just one incident. There's a bigger picture as I see it.

I see everyone else on the road as a feckin' eejit and cycle accordingly. I focus less on what I should be able to do (the law) and focus more on what is comfortable, safe and enjoyable.

I've found a mirror to be really useful for reducing the stress from being passed, close or otherwise.

A roundabout, merging lanes and the like are, to me, exceptional things and I treat them exceptionally.

Right or wrong, there are not many people who respond well to being shouted at.
Similarly, there are not many people on bikes who won't react angrily to a close pass.
I appreciate that this won't be popular (nor easy) but a friendly chat with the driver may have been more successful in the long run.
Or a cool, calm conversation with the company/driver over the phone, afterwards.
Right now, you're just another ranty, shouty cyclist to him. And you don't seem to have enjoyed your ride much.

My cycling has only ever been utility, commuting or touring so I can understand someone who is training being frustrated by delays etc. All I can say is that it's a public road and wherever there is public there are plonkers.

I hope your experience hasn't put you off.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Report it to the police, within 24 hours. The driver has the same legal obligation as there was injury.

Report at your local police station, not via 101, and not as a close pass but a deliberate attempt to run you down. The driver used their vehicle as a weapon.

Cyclist objects to overtake and gives driver some verbal, driver gives cyclist some verbal. Pretty much par for the course, happens all the time. Driver goes to drive off and cyclist is standing there like an idiot in the way of the truck below the windscreen line, out of the driver's line of sight trying to take a photo. Anyone with any common sense would GTF out of the way of an 8 wheel tipper ASAP and do their picture taking from a safe position at the side of the road. Someone in a 30 ton truck is not going to feel a thing if they nudge a pedestrian who is adjacent to the corner of their vehicle. so this reporting because there was an injury stuff is tosh. You don't get "injured" from a nudge, and the driver was probably unaware there was even any contact.
As alluded to already by others, it just comes across to me as the typical fast-riding shouty cyclist vs motor vehicle incident that has gone one stage further, because the shouty cyclist then decided it was a smart move to stand in the way of a truck after both parties had exchanged some verbals.

Last edited by a moderator:

classic33

Leg End Member
Cyclist objects to overtake and gives driver some verbal, driver gives cyclist some verbal. Pretty much par for the course, happens all the time. Driver goes to drive off and cyclist is standing there like an idiot in the way of the truck below the windscreen line, out of the driver's line of sight trying to take a photo. Anyone with any common sense would GTF out of the way of an 8 wheel tipper ASAP and do their picture taking from a safe position at the side of the road. Someone in a 30 ton truck is not going to feel a thing if they nudge a pedestrian who is adjacent to the corner of their vehicle. so this reporting because there was an injury stuff is tosh. You don't get "injured" from a nudge, and the driver was probably unaware there was even any contact.
As alluded to already by others, it just comes across to me as the typical fast-riding shouty cyclist vs motor vehicle incident that has gone one stage further, because the shouty cyclist then decided it was a smart move to stand in the way of a truck after both parties had exchanged some verbals.
Double white lines, the driver shouldn't have been trying to overtake in the first place. That and trying to get the cyclist to move out of his way, doesn't help the driver.

A "nudge", from a vehicle that size can have you on the road in no time. To drive a vehicle that size at someone, moves it from accidental to purposely.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[...] the driver was probably unaware there was even any contact. [...]
Then the driver is incompetent and should not be holding a licence for that category of vehicle. Amongst other things, the National Standard for Driving Lorries says in element 2.1.2: "You must be able to [...] move off straight-ahead, on the level and on slopes, safely [...]"; see also 3.1.1 "You must be able to [...] overtake other road users legally, safely and responsibly" and "You must know and understand [...] where you may and may not overtake".

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Then the driver is incompetent and should not be holding a licence for that category of vehicle. Amongst other things, the National Standard for Driving Lorries says in element 2.1.2: "You must be able to [...] move off straight-ahead, on the level and on slopes, safely [...]"; see also 3.1.1 "You must be able to [...] overtake other road users legally, safely and responsibly" and "You must know and understand [...] where you may and may not overtake".

Have you ever actually driven a large vehicle like a truck or bus, or do you just quote official blurb to try and back up your arguments? Let me tell you, it's a tiny bit different from driving a car, the sight lines are not the same and there are big blind spots.
Full-time drivers have to deal with suicidal pedestrians and cyclists all day long and they soon get tired of it. The OP may not have been the first incident of that driver's day, and the driver may well not have been kindly disposed to being shouted at.
Anyone who starts getting into exchanges of verbals with big commercial vehicles and putting themselves in close proximity to the vehicle whilst doing this is a prize idiot, and will get handed a Darwin Award pretty quickly if they make a regular habit of it.
If you've got a beef with the driver of such a vehicle, make a note of it's registration number and take it up from there. That's why vehicles have registration numbers.

DRM

Guru
Have you ever actually driven a large vehicle like a truck or bus, or do you just quote official blurb to try and back up your arguments? Let me tell you, it's a tiny bit different from driving a car, the sight lines are not the same and there are big blind spots.
Full-time drivers have to deal with suicidal pedestrians and cyclists all day long and they soon get tired of it. The OP may not have been the first incident of that driver's day, and the driver may well not have been kindly disposed to being shouted at.
Anyone who starts getting into exchanges of verbals with big commercial vehicles and putting themselves in close proximity to the vehicle whilst doing this is a prize idiot, and will get handed a Darwin Award pretty quickly if they make a regular habit of it.
If you've got a beef with the driver of such a vehicle, make a note of it's registration number and take it up from there. That's why vehicles have registration numbers.
But the driver of the tipper is a professional driver, IE get's paid to do it safely, it doesn't matter how many "incidents" they have been involved in, indeed if it's one of several in a day, perhaps the tipper driver should evaluate their driving skills, or lack thereof, they should drive in a manner to avoid incidents in the first place and rise above them, the fact the most tipper drivers are knuckle dragging Neanderthals on piece work is probably more to do with what occurred here than anything else.
OP report them to the Police saying they drove at you, and hit you deliberately, this idiot needs to be unemployed.

Reactions: mjr

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Anyone with any common sense would GTF out of the way of an 8 wheel tipper ASAP...
Anyone with any common sense wouldn’t move an eight-wheeler until they knew you’d got out of the way, and wouldn't get worked up into a frenzy by another road user‘s actions.

It genuinely frightens me that so many people are so easily sent into the red mist. It makes me wonder how they react when something really serious happens.

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

The thing is after we had exchanged verbals and I was walking back to my bike he had to know I was in front of his vehicle there was no where else for me to have gone. So that’s my issue had he waited for me to get on my bike and start to move then there would’ve been no issue.
I would class myself as a professional driver, my van is only 3.5ton but I make sure I give extra space to all pedestrians, cyclists, dogs or cars no matter how they are acting as that’s is the right thing to do.
And I wasn’t being a shouty cyclists I was dawdling along in my cycle lane when I felt the pass was far to close when there was no need for it to be. As you can see there is 2 lanes for cars at the point he decided to pass and he could’ve easily moved across half the other lane it was completely clear. If we was further along in the lanes and there was traffic around I’d be a bit more understanding about the closer pass but it still wouldn’t really be acceptable in a vehicle or that size if I’d swerved for a pothole or glass etc I wouldn’t been straight under his truck. I was annoyed by his pass then the road was shut ahead and traffic stopped I thought it was only right to pull him up on his behaviour

Top Bottom