Close pass advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you report the incident then unless they can retrieve the dash cam footage in the absence of any other evidence it is your word against his word and the CPP is unlikely to proceed due to the threshold not been met.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
He hit your shoulder, there will be bruising. Report it as an assault but do it soon. Don’t sit in this thread letting off steam. It’s the police you need to report it to.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
If vehicles have blind spots large enough that their drivers often cannot see pedestrians or cyclists then they shouldn’t be allowed on the road until that threat to the public is mitigated, either by design, technology, or a co-driver.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Anyone with any common sense wouldn’t move an eight-wheeler until they knew you’d got out of the way, and wouldn't get worked up into a frenzy by another road user‘s actions.

It genuinely frightens me that so many people are so easily sent into the red mist. It makes me wonder how they react when something really serious happens.
Exactly, using something that’ll weigh 32 tonnes as a weapon is totally out of order, as well in being in charge of it when you fly into a rage at the drop of a hat, they need a psychological assessment before being let out in one again

GuyBoden

Guru
If there is an aggressive driver behind, I pull into the side of the road safely and let them pass. Personally, I've found this to be the safest policy after being involved in two accidents whilst riding my bike. Legally, I might have right of way, but I'd rather not risk being injured, cyclists are very vulnerable and too many die in accidents.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
If there is an aggressive driver behind, I pull into the side of the road safely and let them pass. Personally, I've found this to be the safest policy after being involved in two accidents whilst riding my bike. Legally, I might have right of way, but I'd rather not risk being injured, cyclists are very vulnerable and too many die in accidents.
I don’t think the OP knew the driver was aggressive before the close pass and subsequent altercation.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I had this going uphill with a bit of cycle paint, there was a pinch point & most competent drivers don't overtake, but a large Hanson quarry lorry did so. It was horribly close. I took it up with the council who removed the cycle paint murder strip. Hanson dealt with it somehow & the police sent a warning letter or something but because we were both in our own lanes nothing really happened.

It was useful to get the murder strip taken up though, and I now take the lane without fear of being driven at for not being in the "perfectly good cycle lane".

View: https://youtu.be/qYlg5QOJraU

You may wish to get a camera if you ride on busy roads. This dangerously deluded old driver got five points and a fine after leaving me "plenty of room".
IMG_20190926_095356_361 (1).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

I had this going uphill with a bit of cycle paint, there was a pinch point & most competent drivers don't overtake, but a large Hanson quarry lorry did so. It was horribly close. I took it up with the council who removed the cycle paint murder strip. Hanson dealt with it somehow & the police sent a warning letter or something but because we were both in our own lanes nothing really happened.

It was useful to get the murder strip taken up though, and I now take the lane without fear of being driven at for not being in the "perfectly good cycle lane".

You may wish to get a camera if you ride on busy roads. This dangerously deluded old driver got five points and a fine after leaving me "plenty of room". View attachment 581575

That’s sort of the same situation I had we were both in our own lane but was far to close. Mine was made worse by the fact he had 2 empty traffic lanes as he passed me.
What’s a good camera that would last 3-4hours?
Iv had a call from
The police to say they have spoken to the company and are waiting to see if the dash cam footage is available. Probably won’t be but at least it might make the driver think twice next time

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
That’s sort of the same situation I had we were both in our own lane but was far to close. Mine was made worse by the fact he had 2 empty traffic lanes as he passed me.
Iv had a call from
The police to say they have spoken to the company and are waiting to see if the dash cam footage is available. Probably won’t be but at least it might make the driver think twice next time
Drift Ghost XL is what I have, or the cheaper chilli tech look okay for the money. Techalogic look useful

If you do a forum search you will find previous threads.

From my own experience, pay attention to the software/app supplied as the cheaper ones can be a PITA work with or share.

Well done for reporting to the Police and hopefully something positive comes out of it.

DRM

Guru

You may wish to get a camera if you ride on busy roads. This dangerously deluded old driver got five points and a fine after leaving me "plenty of room". View attachment 581575

The company in the bottom two pictures must employ some brain dead morons, they have a depot up here, so going to a job, I turned on to the industrial estate, then there is a left turn at a T Junction, as I’m turning in one of their bright spark drivers flew up to the junction, deliberately fast so I couldn’t turn in, there are parked vehicles either side, there was cars behind me also wanting to turn left but none of us can as this idiot has blocked the junction, however he can’t get out because of me and the rapidly increasing number of cars behind me, so there’s no room to get the tractor unit and trailer out, so we have a Mexican stand off, I said if you pull forward, I can get past, as can everyone else, and you can get out and be on your way, all he says is I’m not causing a problem, however when it’s pointed out that I can sit there all day, and you’ll miss your 1st delivery booking, it’s up to you, cos I don’t give rats rectum if you don’t want to use a bit of common sense, he decided to pull forward a bit and clear the jam so he could get out.

Top Bottom