Close pass footage reporting - a query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Haha thought so but figured I'd check!

I know, it's just sort of unknown territory as I have never had the luxury of having footage before! It just feels a bit silly - I've watched it back a few times and just thought 'am I being dramatic?' and then think the police would think I am indeed being dramatic from all the poor feedback people get (I spend too much time on twitter winding myself up about such things). Then the fact that a few on twitter have been slapped in the wrist for swearing and being told they could be done for a public order offence puts me off doing it.
Let the police decide.
As I said earlier, I have submitted footage with me swearing, from a single word to a full blown expletive ridden sentence and giving a V sign. The police have taken action every time there has been swearing.
As to a public order offence, who would be offended? Chances are no one heard you anyway.

Alex321

Veteran
Wait - I'd say it was related, in that when you're in fear for your life you might say such things reflexively - but perhaps I've misunderstood what you just said (I'm assuming you think me saying a naughty word is not problematic 😅)

It isn't related in the sense that it had no effect on the close pass.

It was a response to the pass, and will have no bearing on any action the police may take as a result of the close pass.

Alex321

Veteran
Near the Ford garage in Newton, about a mile from the junction where the unicorn pub is at Dean Row. It was generally fine, it just a few idiots. For a b road, it sure was busy.

We have a few very busy B roads around here.

The B4265 running from Cardiff Airport to Bridgend might as well be an A road for the amount of traffic it gets - and is also A road quality for the majority of it.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Update - it's been submitted. Only the first incident as that's all I can be arsed with for now but as the footage caught me swearing I've had to explain what that was about. Hopefully I don't get in trouble for using bad words 😅 I'm not hopeful if they're as naff as gmp but others have had an okay outcome so let's see I suppose.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Well it's been a week since I submitted it (almost anyway) and I've not been contacted further for a statement so I'm gonna presume it didn't meet standards or whatever.

I guess what I will say is that even if forces don't let me know the outcome (where I ride covers gmp, Cheshire and West Yorkshire on occasion - I hear WYP are pretty good) I do feel a little less powerless to people attempting to bully me off the road. Every cloud hey!

Alex321

Veteran
I had an incident today, with a car turning right across me, would have collided if I hadn't braked hard.

I reported it via the Operation SNAP site for South Wales police. My footage included me swearing at him (F****** H***), though I don't imagine he heard it.

20 minutes after submitting, I got a response to the ticket saying they were satisfied it warranted further action, with a list of possibilities ranging from a warning to court appearance. They won't tell you which of those for data protection reasons, but that shows it is definitely worth reporting round here, and fruity language doesn't stop them taking appropriate action.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I had an incident today, with a car turning right across me, would have collided if I hadn't braked hard.

I reported it via the Operation SNAP site for South Wales police. My footage included me swearing at him (F****** H***), though I don't imagine he heard it.

20 minutes after submitting, I got a response to the ticket saying they were satisfied it warranted further action, with a list of possibilities ranging from a warning to court appearance. They won't tell you which of those for data protection reasons, but that shows it is definitely worth reporting round here, and fruity language doesn't stop them taking appropriate action.

Wow, fast! And I thought the three I reported to West Yorkshire on Monday that were turned around in less than 24h were speedy. Two of which are being taken forward for further action.

Still nothing from Cheshire so assuming that ones not going anywhere.

november4

I spoke to an x5 driver who I found parked up later after cutting me off on an empty country road. He was okay but I had to be polite to get a good reaction. Started off with 'I'd been in middle of road' but ended well enough.

I think most folk are just dumb to the danger they pose. I was aware he was there because of my radar display. Best buy ever.

I've submitted loads. They either prosecute / put them on a course or they don't.

Never any comeback to myself.

One thing they need to get the notice of intended prosecution to the motorist within 14 days - which in reality means you need to submit the footage ideally within 48 hours of the incident - much later and by the time the footage is reviewed assigned to an officer etc they don't hit the 14 days.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I spoke to an x5 driver who I found parked up later after cutting me off on an empty country road. He was okay but I had to be polite to get a good reaction. Started off with 'I'd been in middle of road' but ended well enough.

I think most folk are just dumb to the danger they pose. I was aware he was there because of my radar display. Best buy ever.

Yeah I love my radar. I think most drivers don't really understand where the middle of the road actually is. And if it was a country lane, so what if you were? Doesn't make it okay to cut someone up.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Well it's been a week since I submitted it (almost anyway) and I've not been contacted further for a statement so I'm gonna presume it didn't meet standards or whatever.

I guess what I will say is that even if forces don't let me know the outcome (where I ride covers gmp, Cheshire and West Yorkshire on occasion - I hear WYP are pretty good) I do feel a little less powerless to people attempting to bully me off the road. Every cloud hey!

I don't know if it happens in your area but I understand all reported incidents in Avon and Somerset are mapped, whether further action is taken or not.

The idea is that a map is built up of dangerous spots which can inform the local authority about where work is needed on road markings etc.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I don't know if it happens in your area but I understand all reported incidents in Avon and Somerset are mapped, whether further action is taken or not.

The idea is that a map is built up of dangerous spots which can inform the local authority about where work is needed on road markings etc.

Not sure if reported near misses do, but collisions do get mapped. Not sure anyone does a damn thing tho - the junction I was driven into on has had numerous collisions over the years and still nothing is done. Yeah the road layout is trash (it's almost certainly too wide and encourages drivers to roll out without stopping) but people learning to not drive like morons would be a good start. That's a whole other issue for another day though isn't it 😂

Top Bottom