Close pass on an 8 year old...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
MOD NOTE
Please stop the to-and-fro on whether the environment is safe, whether the child was riding with sufficient skills and concentrate on whether the pass by the RR driver was safe or not.

Thank you.
Apologies. I clicked Post Reply before that message appeared.

I think we're all in agreement on the overtake by the Range Rover being unsafe.
Some (steveindenmark, S-Express) seem to think it should be excused because of the parent's actions, though.

Does anyone know if the overtake is being prosecuted? I had a bit of a search around on Twitter and elsewhere and could only find the police time-wasting the parent.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Some (steveindenmark, S-Express) seem to think it should be excused because of the parent's actions, though.

I don't think S-Express is excusing the RR's behaviour... he/she seems to think the child shouldn't be on the road, which i personally disagree with.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
RR Driver is a nobber end of. I think that clip is too short to be passing judgement on the girls riding, on that evidence she is better than a lot of adults Ive seen riding. I think I will go with the assumption that the dad who has a deeper attachment to his daughter than anyone here doesnt put her at risk for kicks and is better placed to judge her skill.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Drivers must be educated that such passes are not acceptable, a little one should be to ride safely on the road to her friend a few streets apart or to the local park, with or without parent.
I should be allowed to ride at 10mph (my max) through a pinch point without getting beeped.
Most of us don't indicate left anymore for fear of being side swept.
Drivers must be educated that cycling is not something all cyclist do for a bit of fresh air or for a race: we need to go places, active travel cannot become widespread if even cyclist on this forum think cycling should only happen when there are no cars around.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
You may be right. Another clip might show her doing stoppies, endos and Sagan-style one-handed wheelies. But we can only pass comment on what is available to comment on..
Yes, but it wasnt posted to display her riding skills, not for us to comment on her riding unless you feel it contributed to the incident. It was posted to display the RR nobbiness, and it did its job.

Reactions: mjr

Origamist

Legendary Member
Awful overtake - the first was dicey, the second was abysmal. Look how close the RR is to the Tesco van as he tries to cut back in. What's more, there was nothing coming behind the Tesco van either. Likely delay to the RR driver by acting responsibly and not taking a risk with a child's life - 5 secs, tops.

D

Deleted member 26715

Is there a Magic Roundabout smiley I can use just before the Mods lock this thread

Point is, had she not have been on the road (which should shouldn't have, IMO), then whatever else happens before/after is irrelevant.
So it's the parents fault for letting her on the road ?

I don't know why you see obsessed with her skills . Nothing she does contributes to the dangerous situation , and there was nothing she could do to mitigate it. But keep her at home with her toys,and the RR would be blameless .

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Mods can we lock this thread as it has turned into nothing more than a bun fight.

gavintc

Guru
Come on guys, enough about go ride, this is about the close pass, not individual egos. It's not like there hasn't already been an appeal to stick to the point already.
This thread has descended into a pointless argument and completely missing the point that a driver endangered a child. It is like watching a video of a burglary and everyone arguing about the fire alarms.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Except the Range Rover driver (male or female) didn't do any of that, which kind of negates everything you just said. I think I've said this to you before - assumption is the mother of all you-know-whats.

It is hilarious that you are making the claim this is a safe environment, when we are discussing a video clip of someone making a dangerous close pass in that very same 'safe' environment.

So by this logic.......

If I show a driver driving badly and mounting a pavement, that driver's action makes the pavement unsafe?

Instead, I think we focused on something more useful, like how this kind of thing could be avoided and/or mitigated in the future.
"We"? You are too modest. The thread derail was solely your own work.

And what have we learnt to avoid this? Keeping 8 year olds off the road? Because even if she was a super competent rider and indeed an adult, I don't see what you have said that would change this, except never letting her on a road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom