Close pass on an 8 year old...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think you'll see she was over to the right, looked over her left shoulder then moved left. She certainly didn't lose control when avoiding the drain cover but had to move back in quite quickly when the first car overtook her. Driver obviously wasn't anticipating her moving out to avoid the drain, and the road surface immediately after it appears to be less than ideal. From what I saw in the video she appears to be demonstrating good road awareness.

As I posted before

There are a couple of "wobbles" that are quite obviously a reaction to road hazards

I still think that we need to answer the question ......

What would I have done differently?

S-Express

[QUOTE 4533998, member: 45"]I didn't say there isn't room for improvement. You don't think she's at a standard adequate for that road. I disagree, and argue that the poor driving brings the risk, not the road nor the child.[/QUOTE]

Poor driving is an issue here and now - therefore the argument that her skills are not up to scratch is still valid, given the prevailing driving standards. You may not like it, but that's how it is.

Complaining about driving standards on an internet forum is not nearly as effective as developing someone's riding skills.

S-Express

[QUOTE 4534016, member: 45"]So you think the girl shouldn't be on the road because of the risk from poor driving.[/QUOTE]

That's one way of looking at it, but it's not the whole story. If it was my daughter, I would probably look at improving her skill level before letting her out on roads like that. The risk from poor driving is there, regardless of whether we like it or not. The best we can do right now is give kids as much riding/handling skill as possible to make them as safe as possible.

S-Express

[QUOTE 4534016, member: 45"]What of the 80% of adult cyclists who ride like that? Shouldn't they be on the road either?[/QUOTE]

That 80% are responsible for assessing their own risk and making their own decisions. An 8yo isn't.

S-Express

[QUOTE 4534051, member: 45"]I asked whether you thought they should be riding on the road.[/QUOTE]

And I said it is their decision, because they are responsible adults. Not sure why this is relevant.

Sara_H

Guru
This is why I stopped riding with my son, I couldn't cope with him being close passed. When I got knocked over two years ago it was game over - I haven't ridden on the roads with him since.

S-Express

[QUOTE 4534071, member: 45"]Because you've said that a certain level of cycling competency is required for road use.[/QUOTE]

For an eight year old, who appears to be short of skills and confidence in the clip, yes. Not sure 'required' is a word I have used though, as that has legislative implications. 'Preferred' would be a better word in this context.

As far as I'm aware, this discussion relates to the young girl in the clip and is not a commentary on the level of cycling skill held by the population at large.

Last edited:
I have an issue with "roads like that"

It is a residential road by a park

If that is not a safe environment for an 8 year old ..... then there is a major concern as to what is

This is why I stopped riding with my son, I couldn't cope with him being close passed. When I got knocked over two years ago it was game over - I haven't ridden on the roads with him since.

Please don't take this personally, I am not telling you what to do. ...... It does annoy me though when I feel that fellow cyclists have been "bullied" off the roads

I had a bad accident about 20 years ago (#pelvis, #hip, #clavicle, #ribs, #skull) and I would deliberately avoid the place where it happened - Despite a longer and less safe detour.

It took me about 6 months to bring myself to take myself back along that route and another 3 months before I felt "comfortable" using it on a daily basis

It took me time, but I overcame that fear and it may be that after this time you can reassess the situation.. however you must feel comfortable with that decision

Reactions: mjr

S-Express

I have an issue with "roads like that"

It is a residential road by a park

If that is not a safe environment for an 8 year old ..... then there is a major concern as to what is

Think about what you just said. Residential areas generally have lots of cars travelling to/fro. Public parks generally have lots of people driving in and out of them. Built up areas with a lot of traffic and a lot of roadside parking and side roads/junctions. What you are describing is the exact opposite of a safe environment for an 8yo to cycle in. Ironically, that seems to be self-evident from the clip.

Last edited:

Sara_H

Guru
Think about what you just said. Residential areas generally have lots of cars travelling to/fro. Public parks generally have lots of people driving in and out of them. Built up areas with a lot of traffic and a lot of roadside parking and side roads/junctions. What you are describing is the exact opposite of a safe environment for an 8yo to cycle in. Ironically, that seems to be self-evident from the clip.
Then where is? Where do people with children safely ride? In parks? What about if they're trying to actually get somewhere?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Where, in the video, is this "a lot of traffic"? Yes, there is roadside parking, but the carriage way is wide enough to allow a cyclist and oncoming traffic to ride along it at the same time.Residential areas tend to have lots of traffic coming to and fro at certain times of day. Mainly though, they are quiet. The clip shows an area that is more than safe for an 8 year old accompanied by an adult - if It wasn't sae for her to ride there accompanied, then it wouldn't be safe for the accompanier. I would love to know what level of training you had to run Go - ride sessions, as you seem to be a tad shall we say, risk averse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom