Close pass on an 8 year old...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

[QUOTE 4533803, member: 45"]Why shouldn't she be on the road?[/QUOTE]

Because - as I've said at least twice already on this thread - I don't feel her skill level is adequate. We only have this short clip to go on, to be fair, but that's my assertion from looking at it.

D

Deleted member 26715

Because - as I've said at least twice already on this thread - I don't feel her skill level is adequate. We only have this short clip to go on, to be fair, but that's my assertion from looking at it.
I disagree with your assumption.

Or female - because, as you say, it's a random sample. Either way, despite all the bluster, you still don't actually know. Like I said earlier, assumption is the mother of all cock ups. Why not wait until the offender is identified (if it ever comes to that).

The flaw of course being that you have assumed that it is an assumption, whereas each time I have made it clear that is an informed or educated guess

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 26715

That's fine. You are obviously seeing something in the clip that I'm not.
Actually I disagree with that as well, it is you that is obviously seeing something in the clip that I'm not.

Assertion....
a positive statement or declaration, oftenwithout support or reason

I can live with that as an assertion

S-Express

[QUOTE 4533841, member: 45"]I think I know what you're saying. You're saying that you don't think that her competence is adequate to deal with the risk presented by some other road users.[/QUOTE]

She appears to lack the basic bike handling skills and necessary road sense that one would expect of someone who is riding on a public road, regardless of whoever else is using it. She is not unique in that respect though.

Actually I disagree with that as well, it is you that is obviously seeing something in the clip that I'm not.

There we go then - we are both seeing different things. I see somebody without the qualities mentioned above.

D

Deleted member 26715

There we go then - we are both seeing different things. I see somebody without the qualities mentioned above.
But you haven't said what in a 36 second video clip how you came to that assumption, what is it that you are seeing in that clip that makes you make that assumption, or is it just that she is 8 years old & somewhere in the back of your mind you feel that an 8 year old should not be on the road?

S-Express

But you haven't said what in a 36 second video clip how you came to that assumption, what is it that you are seeing in that clip that makes you make that assumption, or is it just that she is 8 years old & somewhere in the back of your mind you feel that an 8 year old should not be on the road?

Specifically, the way she veers right (into traffic) after looking over her left shoulder and the way she seems to lose control momentarily when riding over the drain cover. Those are two of the things that concern me. My son was riding on the road at 8 and in principle I have nothing against young riders on public roads, providing they are safe. Not sure those roads in the clip are safe for someone so young.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Specifically, the way she veers right (into traffic) after looking over her left shoulder and the way she seems to lose control momentarily when riding over the drain cover. Those are two of the things that concern me. My son was riding on the road at 8 and in principle I have nothing against young riders on public roads, providing they are safe. Not sure those roads in the clip are safe for someone so young.
I think you'll see she was over to the right, looked over her left shoulder then moved left. She certainly didn't lose control when avoiding the drain cover but had to move back in quite quickly when the first car overtook her. Driver obviously wasn't anticipating her moving out to avoid the drain, and the road surface immediately after it appears to be less than ideal. From what I saw in the video she appears to be demonstrating good road awareness.

The question I find myself asking is whether I could have handled this better than the 8 year old?

I really don't know what I would have done that she did not

Possibly riding in primary, but with a following rider in that position I would have been further in to allow an overlap if I braked suddenly

Otherwise I think she did very well, and is more than competent for a quiet road like this

S-Express

[QUOTE 4533894, member: 45"]In that clip the only time that child was in an unsafe position was when the driver disobeyed the HC.[/QUOTE]

You obviously don't see any issue with the riding, which is fine. I used to coach riding skills at a go-ride club and I see a few things wrong. I think we've already accepted that the driving was at best CD30 and possibly DD40.

Assertion - not assumption!

dim

that happens daily in Cambridge .... that Range Rover passed pretty far compared to what happens here as some roads in my area are very narrow ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom