Close pass on an 8 year old...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Poor kid, I think they coped really well. But it would only have taken a nervous wobble for the car to have hit her!

S-Express

I doubt if anyone will lose their licence, unfortunately.

Helmet issue aside, I would question the wisdom of putting an 8yo on the road when she clearly has a distinct lack of riding skill.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Lots of things going wrong here.

When Jannie is in front of me and we come to a pinch point like that in the clip, I move out and so that car would not have got past me at that point. The pratt of a driver may have gone over the top of me, but that's another matter.

Posted by Tim Lennon, the Secretary of the Cycling Embassy of Great Britain and the first thing he does is to make a hand gesture. However innocent it may look I don't think it is a good idea.

As for the helmet debate. I have not seen anyone make it clear that there is no legal requirement to wear a helmet but there is a legal requirement to leave a safe distance when passing.

What good would a plastic hat do against a range rover?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
There are a large number of morons in the world and to be clear I do not count the little girl or her father as one of them. The majority of commentators on a supposed cycling website though............

subaqua

What’s the point
I doubt if anyone will lose their licence, unfortunately.

Helmet issue aside, I would question the wisdom of putting an 8yo on the road when she clearly has a distinct lack of riding skill.
And pray tell where she should obtain the skill of riding in traffic ? By magic? Osmosis? Or actually doing it and having the knowledge that drivers won't drive like nobbers because they will be prosecuted properly for offending.

Because we know it is not possible to put segregated lanes everywhere .

S-Express

And pray tell where she should obtain the skill of riding in traffic ? By magic? Osmosis? Or actually doing it and having the knowledge that drivers won't drive like nobbers because they will be prosecuted properly for offending.

Because we know it is not possible to put segregated lanes everywhere .

When I say riding skill, I mean basic bike handling skills. Learn them first, then go ride in traffic after.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
This popped up earlier on my fb.
I think the wee one was riding well.
I take kids and beginner adults out for rides: we try not to go on the roads, but if it's inevitable I and my co-leaders will ride side by side, never mind the inevitable aggravation from some drivers.
I have to say most drivers are patient when they see kids riding, this driver is obviously an exception that should really not be allowed to drive like that.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
This popped up earlier on my fb.
I think the wee one was riding well.
I take kids and beginner adults out for rides: we try not to go on the roads, but if it's inevitable I and my co-leaders will ride side by side, never mind the inevitable aggravation from some drivers.
I have to say most drivers are patient when they see kids riding, this driver is obviously an exception that should really not be allowed to drive like that.
Agree she was riding well and dad was doing sensible thing by riding in a decent position out from the kerb. You learn road sense by riding on roads. RR driver was a nobber.

TrishE

Über Member
Selfish driver thinking only of himself and showing no respect for fellow human beings.....the comments after the article though, not much respect being shown to fellow human beings either with all the swearing and name calling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom