Close Pass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Taking primary through pinch points is good practice, but it can only influence other road users' behaviour. It may make an attempted overtake and squeeze (or worse) less likely, but obversely, it means driver impatience can manifest itself in other unpleasant ways i.e beeping, tailgating before the pinchpoint, passing too closely afer the pinchpoint etc. Changng the dynamic of the situation by taking an assertive position is not a win/win when dealing with pinchpoints. If traffic is not heavy, sometimes the path of least resistance is to back-off before the pinchpoint and then you do not have to take a strong, blocking position on the approach. It also shows other following motorists that you are prepared to defer and facilitate the progress of faster moving vehicles and, if you do need to move into primary postion further down the road, they are more inclined, in my experience (particularly if you thank them with a wave/nod/smile), to treat you more considerately.

fair comments and something that I do on one of my commuting roads with 5 consecutive pinch pints.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I do that when going up Bedford Hill, Balham (traveling south east).
It's easier than controlling the lane for every traffic island (about 7 along a short stretch).

It's a lot easier negotiating the pinch points going down Bedford Hill, but you then have to worry more about the side roads.

Better to defer before the pinchpoint:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It's a lot easier negotiating the pinch points going down Bedford Hill, but you then have to worry more about the side roads.

Better to defer before the pinchpoint:

Going that way I always hold a strong line. Had too many idiots push past me last minute if I take a slightly weaker one.

stowie

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1669167, member: 3143"]How?[/quote]

Aggressive tailgating and "punishment" pass after the pinch-point. Had a couple of cars go the other side of the pinch point to overtake - not dangerous to me, but utterly insane and dangerous to other road-users. Several places (Stoke Newington gyratory is one) where the road is too wide to effectively control traffic behind, but the road narrows and merges sharply with another whilst car closing speeds are much more than the 30mph they should be doing. Road layout is simply thoughtless for cyclists (or pedestrians) in these cases. The video shown just indicates the stupidity some drivers will go to simply to pass a few yards sooner.

The thing that strikes me about the videos and so on is simply how quickly people who use vehicular techniques cycle, and how this enables taking primary and so on. If a cyclist doesn't have this speed, it is much more difficult to negotiate your way with traffic without the drivers being considerate. I firmly believe that, because we have to do these things, many people are put off cycling. Which is a shame.

stowie

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1669191, member: 3143"]..and becasue of the cyclists position the car driver had to take a wide line at a reduced speed. This is know as a ''controlled pass.''[/quote]

I know what you mean - don't think this is a controlled pass by the way, but the actions of someone who needs to be relieved of their license.

However, I do use the controlled pass with black cabs in bus lanes. Take primary, note that a cab is behind, and move over to allow them through, but the action has slowed them to a reasonable speed for an overtake in close proximity.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I know what you mean - don't think this is a controlled pass by the way, but the actions of someone who needs to be relieved of their license.

However, I do use the controlled pass with black cabs in bus lanes. Take primary, note that a cab is behind, and move over to allow them through, but the action has slowed them to a reasonable speed for an overtake in close proximity.

Now you are dicing with death.. :whistle:^_^

Jezston

Über Member
The thing that strikes me about the videos and so on is simply how quickly people who use vehicular techniques cycle, and how this enables taking primary and so on. If a cyclist doesn't have this speed, it is much more difficult to negotiate your way with traffic without the drivers being considerate. I firmly believe that, because we have to do these things, many people are put off cycling. Which is a shame.

That's a good point. Can the tootlers and strollers who barely reach double figures be expected to control traffic in the same way as fit cyclists pushing 20-30mph?

I notice those casting responsiblity for other road users behaviour onto the cyclist on this thread appear to be fairly fit young men (steady on...) afaict, a category I've heard being bemoaned as the only people really capable of handling cycling in the cycling-hostile environment we have as this country. Should we be expecting the middle aged lady casually strolling on her pashley, the kid on his bmx, the young mum on the hybrid with the child seat and so on to be so confident against the horn blasting, tailgating, abuse hurling masses?

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
addictfreak started this thread to see if he could edit and upload a video - congratulations, you can!
How many have offered him constructive advice on the position of the camera? He has possibly worked out that the position is slightly wrong and will try trial & error to get it right. May I suggest playing about with it in Windows MovieMaker to try and enhance quality?
About his positioning; he neither sought nor needed your advice. Give 10 cyclists the same stretch of road with the same traffic and weather pattern and you will see many variations. All of them will be correct for that particular cyclist. He has done what I and countless thousands do - identified a hazard and has taken steps to avoid it.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
That's a good point. Can the tootlers and strollers who barely reach double figures be expected to control traffic in the same way as fit cyclists pushing 20-30mph?

I notice those casting responsiblity for other road users behaviour onto the cyclist on this thread appear to be fairly fit young men (steady on...) afaict, a category I've heard being bemoaned as the only people really capable of handling cycling in the cycling-hostile environment we have as this country. Should we be expecting the middle aged lady casually strolling on her pashley, the kid on his bmx, the young mum on the hybrid with the child seat and so on to be so confident against the horn blasting, tailgating, abuse hurling masses?

Excellent point. I don't think new cyclists, ones lacking a bit of confidence, will be able to push out into primary at pinch points. Does that mean they are 50% at fault for close passes they experience?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
[QUOTE 1669866, member: 3143"]No, they are 50% at fault for not realising that they are not as fast as the traffic around them and thus, should let them get on their way.[/quote]

What on earth has your speed got to do with taking primary at a pinch point?

OP
OP
addictfreak
addictfreak started this thread to see if he could edit and upload a video - congratulations, you can!
How many have offered him constructive advice on the position of the camera? He has possibly worked out that the position is slightly wrong and will try trial & error to get it right. May I suggest playing about with it in Windows MovieMaker to try and enhance quality?
About his positioning; he neither sought nor needed your advice. Give 10 cyclists the same stretch of road with the same traffic and weather pattern and you will see many variations. All of them will be correct for that particular cyclist. He has done what I and countless thousands do - identified a hazard and has taken steps to avoid it.

At last, someone read the OP!

Origamist

Legendary Member
At last, someone read the OP!

If you wanted people to focus on the camera work and editing, you really needed to choose a mundane bit of film - not an incident or non-incident called "close pass".

Posting film here is a terribly fraught business - look what happened to Magnatom.

More imprtantly, if eveyone had simply said you needed to tilt the camera up a touch, mr_hippo would not have contributed his helmet cam/YouTube/forum taxonomy and we would all have be deprived of his peculiar obsession wit.

Reactions: gaz
OP
OP
addictfreak
If you wanted people to focus on the camera work and editing, you really needed to choose a mundane bit of film - not an incident or non-incident called "close pass".

Posting film here is a terribly fraught business - look what happened to Magnatom.

More imprtantly, if eveyone had simply said you needed to tilt the camera up a touch, mr_hippo would not have contributed his helmet cam/YouTube/forum taxonomy and we would all have be deprived of his peculiar obsession wit.

The reason I editted that clip to save and download is precisely because it was the only non mundane bit of the whole ride! As stated I'm not looking to become a regular 'incident' poster, but merely trying my hand at editing and uploading.

OP
OP
addictfreak
Anyway, the camera is a veho muvi which I normally wedge in a helmet vent. Getting the angle right is a bit of trial and error mixed with some luck. Does anyone else use the same cam? If so how and where do you mount it?

Top Bottom