Close Pass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
The reason I editted that clip to save and download is precisely because it was the only non mundane of the whole ride!

That was your first mistake! If you had posted a dull 20 sec clip of you proceeding down a straight road and being passed with loads of room by a couple of cars - people would only have commented on the fact you were riding too close to the kerb (or too far away), were nodding your head furiously, were cycling too fast for the conditions, not shoulder-checking enough etc etc etc . Someone else might even have mentioned poor pedalling technique, without even observing your pedalling technique.

As stated I'm not looking to become a regular 'incident' poster, but merely trying my hand at editing and uploading.

You'll quickly learn that you do not decide what is, or is not, an incident - that's for serious folks on the interweb to determine.

Don't worry, you'll either get used to it or you'll not bother uploading anything...;)

Mad at urage

Anyway, the camera is a veho muvi which I normally wedge in a helmet vent. Getting the angle right is a bit of trial and error mixed with some luck. Does anyone else use the same cam? If so how and where do you mount it?
I cut a camera-base-sized hole in the brim at the front. Of course I couldn't possibly recommend anyone to do this, as it compromises the 'integrity' of the flimsy polystyrene. OTOH it's probably no more dangerous (IMHO) than mounting any rigid camera or light on a helmet. Oh, and I looped the lanyard over the top of my head (inside the helmet) to fasten around the 'frame' at the back. Picture was upside down, but that's easily rectified with an editor.

lukesdad

What on earth has your speed got to do with taking primary at a pinch point?
Speed has everything to do with what happens on the road, the closer the relative traffics speed the less incidents you will have. Just one of the facts to take into account when offering others advice.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
That was your first mistake! If you had posted a dull 20 sec clip of you proceeding down a straight road and being passed with loads of room by a couple of cars - people would only have commented on the fact you were riding too close to the kerb (or too far away), were nodding your head furiously, were cycling too fast for the conditions, not shoulder-checking enough etc etc etc . Someone else might even have mentioned poor pedalling technique, without even observing your pedalling technique.
aaah so that is why you mount it on your stem. We can still comment on your noisy brakes :P

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Speed has everything to do with what happens on the road, the closer the relative traffics speed the less incidents you will have. Just one of the facts to take into account when offering others advice.

Yes, that's obvious, but it was in reply to a point I made about new cyclists perhaps not having the confidence to take primary at a pinch point, so speed had nothing to do with it.

lukesdad

Speed has everything to do with it.

A lady going shopping she has all the time in the world, riding at 6-7mph, she wants to get to the shops and home safely, you would advise her to move to primary to negociate the pinch point as her safest option ?

stowie

Legendary Member
Speed has everything to do with it.

A lady going shopping she has all the time in the world, riding at 6-7mph, she wants to get to the shops and home safely, you would advise her to move to primary to negociate the pinch point as her safest option ?

What is her safest option? If not moving to primary then surely she would be "inviting" a close pass at speed, in the same way that a more speedier cyclist would if they didn't block using primary?

I would say the safest option for her is primary, in the same way as it is for someone cycling at 20mph, but the negotiation to attain primary in traffic is more difficult the more differential there is between the cyclist's speed and the car's.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I must say, the empathy and understanding towards novice cyclists shown by Lee is really heartwarming. What with Lee saying they are 50% at fault for close passes by not getting out of the way for them. Odd attitude for a cyclist.

lukesdad

What is her safest option? If not moving to primary then surely she would be "inviting" a close pass at speed, in the same way that a more speedier cyclist would if they didn't block using primary?

I would say the safest option for her is primary, in the same way as it is for someone cycling at 20mph, but the negotiation to attain primary in traffic is more difficult the more differential there is between the cyclist's speed and the car's.

I ll give you 2 more options ;

Dismount by pass the pinch point and remount.

Adjust her speed accordingly and pass through the pinch point in a space in the traffic, taking which ever position she favours.

Still of the same opinion ? Time is not her priority safety is.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I ll give you 2 more options ;

Dismount by pass the pinch point and remount.

Adjust her speed accordingly and pass through the pinch point in a space in the traffic, taking which ever position she favours.

Still of the same opinion ? Time is not her priority safety is.

Have you ever seen a cyclist do this? I can't recall seeing one.

Origamist

Legendary Member
There is a lady I see often in the local vllage who does just this.

LOL - one lady in the local village - doesn't quite sound like it's catching on as a method to to deal with traffic calming measures.

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled though and if I spot someone doing it, I'll post the film!

lukesdad

LOL - one lady in the local village - doesn't quite sound like it's catching on as a method to to deal with traffic calming measures.

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled though and if I spot someone doing it, I'll post the film!
You can laugh all you like. I d guess she s a lot older than you and still riding her bike every day so she must be doing something right eh ? I noticed you declined to comment on the second option :thumbsup:

Origamist

Legendary Member
You can laugh all you like. I d guess she s a lot older than you and still riding her bike every day so she must be doing something right eh ? I noticed you declined to comment on the second option :thumbsup:

LOL again - I'd already mentioned that approach in post 36. Pay attention, LD!

Anyway, bike ride time....

Top Bottom