Close Passes - When would you report?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I cycle around 80 - 100 miles a week, 4 to 5 days a week.

I also have full insurance and a cyclecam that records on a loop on the handlebars. The intention for this is that if I have an accident that is serious enough for me to be knocked unconscious, or an accident with no other eyewitnesses it will provide the evidence I need. Generally speaking, I have little to no interest in reporting every single close pass or infraction. Life is too short and I am sure a lot of you here have daily close passes that really don't come up to much.

However today a van cut in near a traffic calming bollard so close it scared the hell out of me, totally unnecessary as well since the road opens up literally round the next corner for overtaking as much as one likes...

Considering reporting it, not sure how much good it will do or what outcome I expect, I guess even a letter to the driver to focus their mind a bit would be good?

What do you normally do?

AndyRM

XOXO
E-mail the company with a clip of the pass perhaps? If nothing else the driver might be given a talking to which might focus their attention a bit more.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If it scares you then it's too close.
I cycle around 80 - 100 miles a week, 4 to 5 days a week.

I also have full insurance and a cyclecam that records on a loop on the handlebars. The intention for this is that if I have an accident that is serious enough for me to be knocked unconscious, or an accident with no other eyewitnesses it will provide the evidence I need. Generally speaking, I have little to no interest in reporting every single close pass or infraction. Life is too short and I am sure a lot of you here have daily close passes that really don't come up to much.

However today a van cut in near a traffic calming bollard so close it scared the hell out of me, totally unnecessary as well since the road opens up literally round the next corner for overtaking as much as one likes...

Considering reporting it, not sure how much good it will do or what outcome I expect, I guess even a letter to the driver to focus their mind a bit would be good?

What do you normally do?

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

eeheeheebike

Regular
Honestly then I'm not sure there's much you can do, and I'm sorry you found the situation scary. Perhaps report it to the police but I'd be surprised if it went anywhere.

Kinda what I thought, I imagine the police have better things to do at the moment. Oh well will chalk it up to experience and move on :becool:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Kinda what I thought, I imagine the police have better things to do at the moment. Oh well will chalk it up to experience and move on :becool:
It depends which police area you are in. Some are surprisingly good understanding that aggressive close passers may kill someone next time.

If its close and fast enough for me to have an adrenalin rush I report it.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Report it.

Close passes are regularly dealt with by well-drafted warnings, fixed penalty notices, conditional course offers or other prosecution in Avon & Somerset. If it made you worried then it's worth reporting, in my view.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Judging by others who report bad driving in Hampshire, and by the stats they put out about how few reports they get, that constabulary is not the best at giving feedback or at acting on reports... but if you don't try nothing will change.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
One driver was summonsed from Bristol to Hampshire head office the next day for a talking to.

I just had this today too..almost feel sorry for him.

"On behalf of the company I would like to sincerely apologise for his behaviour and can understand how alarmed you were . We are in the process of finding out which employee it was and once we have established who it was they will be brought in to head office and be disciplined by one of our directors. We are a professional company and do not expect our good name and image to be tarnished in this way."

DRHysted

Guru
Unfortunately since hants police did nothing about a driver heading straight at me saying they could see nothing wrong with his driving!! I’ve not bothered reporting anything since.
According to Twitter the hants police snap portal has been down for months and they’re not interested in sorting it.
I have cameras, my family have instructions to get them first in the event of an accident.

Top Bottom