Close shave, do I get an action camera for cycling ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I wasn't aware of the Fly6CE & Fly12CE They certainly make great claims, are they really that good ?

I have a Fly12 and an Aldi version of the Fly6. The best thing I can say about them is that you get a decent battery life (over 4 hours) and the video quality is pretty good, the software is shockingly bad so if I need to get video off I plug it into a computer.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I wasn't aware of the Fly6CE & Fly12CE They certainly make great claims, are they really that good ?

I'd say yes.

When my first (early) Fly12 developed a fault it was well out of warranty. Despite this, a couple of weeks after sending it back to them in Australia, I was given a completely new one free of charge, no questions asked.

Battery life is excellent - up to ten hours - and video quality very good.

Slick

Guru
I use the fly 6 and find it perfect for my needs. It's always on and flashing even in bright sunshine but I rarely check the footage despite the usual number of uncomfortable passes that we all get. I did come across my second cyclist down in a week, so I'll keep recording just in case.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have front & rear. I do report close passes and suchlike, but my initial motivation was to have evidence in case I got knocked off.

I am trying not to get too uptight about such things but it can be satisfying when a driver delivers a needless close pass to know that they will be getting a police letter or a NIP.

I'd buy a Drift Ghost X next time, my Stealth 2 has been OK as long as it's only charged at 1amp.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Well, interesting reading. Rather different responses ( in the main) to what I expected.
Most posters seem more concerned with the effect a camera will have on my
mental health than the effect these drivers will potentially have on the health of other road users ?
Please don’t worry about my mental health, at the age of 72 it is still pretty robust.
Are you aware of this site ?
https://www.driving.co.uk/news/feat...nding-police-videos-dangerous-driving-doddle/
Surely it is incumbent on all of us where possible to report dangerous driving ?
I'm going to disagree with some of the posts.

I got taken off a couple of weeks ago riding to work. After I had a very close call over the winter, I resolved to get a camera, and after that last incident I took the plunge (the driver didn't stop and I didn't catch the reg no.).

I now record the day's commute and keep a week's worth at a time. The only footage I intend keeping long term is (a) fun stuff or (b) stuff that would be required as evidence, either by me or a fellow road user.

I have no intention, or motivation, to put footage of close calls up on social media. I don't have a Facebook, Twitter or YouTube account in any case. We all make mistakes from time to time and you just accept it.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Certainly for the Fly 12, (the predecessor model I use), IME yes, fit and (largely) forget. The battery life I get is closer to 10 hours not the 11+ quoted, but apart from that.

The site is very well known, but if the Police at the other end ignore what is posted, then it is utterly useless. I have posted 4 videos to it now, without so much of a reply from the Police. However, I know that they don't have their eyes totally closed to this as I was a witness for someone who provided video to the same constabulary. I asked the Police at the time and they told me to keep submitting as with enough videos piling up they may get some resources to actually do something with them.

I have never used the site preferring to report directly to the relevant local force; in my case GMP and Cheshire, but I would guess it depends upon whether there is a direct reporting facility.

I'm going to disagree with some of the posts.

I got taken off a couple of weeks ago riding to work. After I had a very close call over the winter, I resolved to get a camera, and after that last incident I took the plunge (the driver didn't stop and I didn't catch the reg no.).

I now record the day's commute and keep a week's worth at a time. The only footage I intend keeping long term is (a) fun stuff or (b) stuff that would be required as evidence, either by me or a fellow road user.

I have no intention, or motivation, to put footage of close calls up on social media. I don't have a Facebook, Twitter or YouTube account in any case. We all make mistakes from time to time and you just accept it.

Probably depends upon the camera you use. The Fly 12 automatically overwrites older footage. Fit a bigger card (I think the Fly 12 goes to 64Gb) and you have oodles of space, even at 1080p.

Nebulous

Guru
I was knocked off by a driver who came out of a side road through a giveaway several years ago. No serious injuries, only two broken fingers, despite rolling over the bonnet of his car. I was lucky that a following car driver stopped, waited and insisted on giving a statement to the police. I got a payout, after a fight, with a solicitor appointed by British Cycling. The police were hopeless.

I bought a Garmin Virb and wear it on my helmet while commuting in town. I do much more leisure riding than commuting and don’t use a camera then.

It helps, whether you have a camera or not, to let things go. Often after an annoying incident I’ll have my tea and forget about it until the sd card is getting full and it is deleted without even viewing it. Sometimes I view it and decide the incident wasn’t as bad as I thought it was. Sometimes I see ways I could have improved my own safety - it helps not to think about right and wrong but about reducing risk.

Very very occasionally I’ve uploaded something to YouTube. Once I had a very positive response from a glazing company who ‘spoke’ to their driver.

Better than that though I’m convinced it modifies some driver’s behaviour. Fairly regularly a driver will push hard and then back off when they see the camera.

So it hasn’t done what I thought it would do when I bought it, but for me it has been positive, as long as you can be judicious in its use.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have a look at the SJCAM cameras. I have 2 x M10's and the M20. The M20 has good image stabilisation and is good off road. And, we've used all 3 to film bits for a wedding video for family - the quality was very good (son is an editing genius as he did main filming on an SLR).

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
From my one-post topic https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/operation-close-pass-in-devon.249158/

It's just turn on & forget. Never bother to look at footage unless someone needs educating. In about six months, one bus, and one car. Not to say that there isn't some terrible driving out there, but my yardstick is that if I could touch the vehicle easily (so about 1ft from the handlebars), I'll report it, if not, I let it go. Sadly the handlebar-mounted camera was too low to capture the twerp who was holding and writing in a notebook ("look, no hands!") as he pulled away from traffic lights. Talk about 'distracted'!

I see the function being twofold: to educate miscreant drivers - they need to know it's not acceptable - and to help the police build up a picture of what's going on. If no-one does anything, the situation won't improve.

EDIT - this is the £40 camera I'm using... seems to do the job. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victure-Waterproof-Wide-angle-Rechargeable-Accessories-1080P/dp/B07FMWXL3H/

Last edited:

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
I say go for it but try not to sweat about the small stuff. I’ve had a couple of coaching sessions with particularly bad driving numpties and when you show them that you caught their antics on camera they either go nuts or calm down and quickly apologise. If you stay calm, all the better. Check out the following vid:

https://thewest.com.au/news/perth/t...yclists-shared-on-social-media-ng-b881148619z

These cyclists are nicest because bunch on the road you’ll ever meet. They remained calm at all times and tried to diffuse the ruckus but the driver continued to see red. There was just no need for being so aggressive and angry. If any of us acted that way in your place of work = instantly fired. We all make mistakes, but dangerous driving / cycling needs to be called out.

Slick

Guru
I say go for it but try not to sweat about the small stuff. I’ve had a couple of coaching sessions with particularly bad driving numpties and when you show them that you caught their antics on camera they either go nuts or calm down and quickly apologise. If you stay calm, all the better. Check out the following vid:

https://thewest.com.au/news/perth/t...yclists-shared-on-social-media-ng-b881148619z

These cyclists are nicest because bunch on the road you’ll ever meet. They remained calm at all times and tried to diffuse the ruckus but the driver continued to see red. There was just no need for being so aggressive and angry. If any of us acted that way in your place of work = instantly fired. We all make mistakes, but dangerous driving / cycling needs to be called out.
I couldn't get the video in your link to work, but found this.

View: https://youtu.be/pwyT7ztAAXU

Looks like it may have been edited though.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
That’s the one Slick.

I shouldn’t defend the club too much: I went out for a ‘chatting pace’ ride with these guys and 20mins into the ride they turn the screw to 450watts, and they don’t stop turning the screw. Mr Pie quickly turns into puff pastry. At the coffee stop they are all quietly content with themselves and I then find out that Emma Pooley is a member of the club. I have some training to do.....

Slick

Guru
That’s the one Slick.

I shouldn’t defend the club too much: I went out for a ‘chatting pace’ ride with these guys and 20mins into the ride they turn the screw to 450watts, and they don’t stop turning the screw. Mr Pie quickly turns into puff pastry. At the coffee stop they are all quietly content with themselves and I then find out that Emma Pooley is a member of the club. I have some training to do.....
Sounds tough, I'm sure you will be fine though.

Like the puff pastry thing. :laugh:

Top Bottom