Close shave, do I get an action camera for cycling ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Have you tried the search function?

If you want the slightest chance (and it usually is slight) of the police doing something about bad driving then get a Fly12 and Fly6 combo.
If you ride alone and in quiet areas it may be of use if you're ever skelped in a hit & run, your next of kin will at least know what happened.
What are the mounting options like on the Fly6? I want to use one on a bike with a child seat attached, so I can't use the seatpost. I was thinking about trying to mount it on the seatstay.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
What are the mounting options like on the Fly6? I want to use one on a bike with a child seat attached, so I can't use the seatpost. I was thinking about trying to mount it on the seatstay.

I don't think that would work as it's secured by a ve!cro strap which loops through the rear of the camera body and around the post. The seatstay is way too narrow to give a stable mount.

You might be able to bodge up a fitting like one of those rear rack light mounts or similar, you just need something as thick as a seatpost and sitting at the same angle.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I don't think that would work as it's secured by a ve!cro strap which loops through the rear of the camera body and around the post. The seatstay is way too narrow to give a stable mount.

You might be able to bodge up a fitting like one of those rear rack light mounts or similar, you just need something as thick as a seatpost and sitting at the same angle.
I might see if SJS have anything suitable although I imagine any sort of extra bracket might give problems with vibration.

glasgowcyclist

I might see if SJS have anything suitable although I imagine any sort of extra bracket might give problems with vibration.

For a while I used a handlebar extender mounted on my offside fork near the hub to give a better perspective by including my right leg and pannier in the shot. ( I'd been told by police that a recent close pass was impossible to judge because the footage showed no part of me. Bollox of course, but I had a spare Fly6 so tried this as an experiment.). It used two clamps as a single clamp allowed a bit of vibration, spoiling the video.

You can get them from places like Banggood or eBay or Amazon, e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Handlebar-Speedometer-handlebar-extension-Motorcycle/dp/B06XCN5W8G

Is there any way to fasten some sort of short post to the child seat?

winjim

Smash the cistern
For a while I used a handlebar extender mounted on my offside fork near the hub to give a better perspective by including my right leg and pannier in the shot. ( I'd been told by police that a recent close pass was impossible to judge because the footage showed no part of me. Bollox of course, but I had a spare Fly6 so tried this as an experiment.). It used two clamps as a single clamp allowed a bit of vibration, spoiling the video.

You can get them from places like Banggood or eBay or Amazon, e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Handlebar-Speedometer-handlebar-extension-Motorcycle/dp/B06XCN5W8G

Is there any way to fasten some sort of short post to the child seat?
Annoyingly the child seat doesn't have a light mount, although it wouldn't work for a camera anyway, as it mounts on big springy prongs which act as suspension, so it bounces around rather a lot. The bike's a Croix de Fer so it has various mounting points so I'll see what I can bodge.

glasgowcyclist

Annoyingly the child seat doesn't have a light mount, although it wouldn't work for a camera anyway, as it mounts on big springy prongs which act as suspension, so it bounces around rather a lot. The bike's a Croix de Fer so it has various mounting points so I'll see what I can bodge.

What model of Fly6 do you have? I've assumed it's the newer one with the strap mount and not the older one where it slides into a clip mounted on the seatpost.

winjim

Smash the cistern
What model of Fly6 do you have? I've assumed it's the newer one with the strap mount and not the older one where it slides into a clip mounted on the seatpost.
I don't have one yet but I'm considering it. If I do get one it may well end up being whatever the best is I can find 2nd hand.

classic33

Leg End Member
This is my LBS owner, 73 years old and left with a fractured pelvis on the side of the road by a hit & run driver. Would a camera recording the ride have
resulted in the cowardly scum getting caught ? who knows but there is a good chance.
https://www.arthurcaygillcycles.co....ew-on-itv-news-26th-january-2019#.XOP-LKTTXmE
What they can't do is stop the person being hit in the first place. Remember they are not a safety aid, they are therr to back up, good, bad funny, things that may have happenned on your ride.

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
What they can't do is stop the person being hit in the first place. Remember they are not a safety aid, they are therr to back up, good, bad funny, things that may have happenned on your ride.

Of course, that is all pretty obvious. However this person is still out there driving and a possible danger to you and yours (and me and mine) catch any small snippert of his car on camera and they will likely be caught and off the road. We will all be safer then.

classic33

Leg End Member
Of course, that is all pretty obvious. However this person is still out there driving and a possible danger to you and yours (and me and mine) catch any small snippert of his car on camera and they will likely be caught and off the road. We will all be safer then.
They're a back up to your version of events and very little else, should things go wrong. At the extreme, they offer a piece of the story that might otherwise have gone untold.

Top Bottom