clothing advice for beginners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Totally agree. Especially if you are suffering from absence of hair. I use a gore helmet cap to protect the thinning bonce under the bike helmet when it's cold. Good fluorescent warm gloves also a must.

si_c

Guru
Overall comfort is improved if you keep your head warm, a Thinsulate hat is windproof and can be pulled down to protect the forehead.
Essential wear for half the year for me! (Might not work with a helmet)
https://www.jdwilliams.co.uk/shop/thinsulate-hat/ML060/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=8010&promo=6202#colour:Black,size:ONE SIZE&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl9zdBRDgARIsAL5Nyn2L5MNTogGsb0faFE0Vv_24iyJJupeNmHYUmUoBiWIL1JBbCxXiDHgaAiLTEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have something very similar. For less extreme cold I find a thick knit bobble hat works wonders - very breatheable - although again may cause problems with a plastic hat.

Expensive helmets have lots of venting to keep you cool. In winter you can use a cheaper model with more helmet and less air. It will keep you warmer.
You need thin hats under a helmet or ear warmer headbands. Thicker hats makes the helmet fit a bit loose.

si_c

Guru
Expensive helmets have lots of venting to keep you cool. In winter you can use a cheaper model with more helmet and less air. It will keep you warmer.
You need thin hats under a helmet or ear warmer headbands. Thicker hats makes the helmet fit a bit loose.
Strictly speaking you shouldn't wear anything under a helmet, they're not designed for it. That being said...

8mph

Veteran
I would recommend a Karrimor summer cycling jacket for your winter commuter, they cost around £10 second hand on eBay. It's, comfortable, long, tough and it looks like a casual jacket. I own a gore bike wear jacket but I like my Karrimor over a t-shirt during winter because it really keeps me dry and I don't fuss over it as is cost me £3. Altura overtrousers are ok for 10 minutes of rain, I wear Salamon XA lite trainers which are warm and dry.

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
Oh - a buff is also really nice in the winter. It's like a tube you can put over your ears, neck, mouth etc.
Love my buff. If you find wool itchy avoid the woolen ones regardless of the claims on the packet.

Great realistic thread when it comes to cycle clothing. I've plenty of cycling tops, cheap end of the market I should add, but given I am not stick thin none of them are very flattering to wear so just recently I have started wearing Fred Perry " type shirts ( cheap versions again ) and they feel so much more comfortable. Also use Ron Hill Tracksters. Topped off with one of several jackets I own. Ok not Rapha or Assos but good enough for me.

Top Bottom