Clothing for morning cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martinireland

Leisure Cyclist
I was out cycling this morning and yesterday morning, left house 5.45 am back at 8 am or so. It was showing 13 - 15 deg on garmin......although dident really feel like it. I find it difficult to get the clothing right so as to be comfortable. I am still using a ls jersey with ls jacket over it. I am still also wearing tights. I am going to wear arm warmers and leg warmers next morning im going. Im asking as last sat morning I met to roadies and both were wearing shorts and ss jerseys , it about 7.15 am and the sun was just coming out. I was to warm at the end of that ride but stuck with it rather than having to stuff pockets full of stuff ! I have read elsewhere that maybe its better to start off on the cool side and then it will be ok when up to speed as they would say. That's fine if you don't have to stop to fix a puncture or do a repair. whats your thoughts ?

HorTs

Über Member
Be bold start cold.

davdandy

I have been wearing shorts and short jerseys for about two months now,you soon warm up after a few miles and will be better for it.I hate being to hot and sweaty underneath too much clothing.

As little as you can,find it best to be a little cooler early on than get really hot later.
This morning's(6:30ish start) attire was a ss Craft jersey with an old Crag Hoppers base layer,Assos arm warmers and DHB bib-shorts and it was just about right(the warmers would have come off if I had gone much further).

davdandy

Even in coldish weather the legs rarely get cold on the bike,so hardly ever wear long.In Winter of course its different but now,in June nah,let the legs get some air.

OP
OP
martinireland

martinireland

Leisure Cyclist
Must give that a go in the morning maybe. I remember reading before that below 8 deg is not really shorts wearing weather, should not be below that this time of year anyways ! I could head for more hills to warm up better !

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Dress for the afternoon weather, but wear rain jacket, which I'll have with me anyway. Then take jacket off.

OP
OP
martinireland

martinireland

Leisure Cyclist
I was wearing the rain/wind proof jacket up till Saturday last.... just was getting too sticky with it. it is too bulky to put into rear pockets. I have one of the light folding ones I must look up for tomorrow. I think a gilet will be the business also, I have one of the Lidl ones from a while back.

I have a cold coming on at the moment so maybe not the best time to wear less clothes !

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Shorts . ss jersey. arm warmers and gilet atm although im toasty by the time i get to work.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
your choices are:
1) Wear enough that you'll be comfortable to start with. After half an hour or so you'll start to get sweaty, followed by very sweaty if the sun comes out.
2) Wear not enough to be comfortable at the start, and become comfortable after half an hour or so as you warm up.
3) Fit a reasonably sizeable saddlebag to your bike, so you've somewhere to keep layers when you take them off.

I go for 3.

OP
OP
martinireland

martinireland

Leisure Cyclist
I think I will give option 2 a go....... also I could bring a packable rain jacket if its too chilly ! It is better than the nov to feb choices anyways over which rain jacket to wear :becool:

Steady

Über Member
Whilst I haven't been out this morning, or yesterday I am out at around those times so at this time of year and I go for a long sleeve base layer (arm warmers are probably better but I haven't invested in those yet), short sleve jersey, shorts.

Only on certain days when there's a chill in the wind do I feel the cold on my upper body, and that's usually after I've gotten toasty at the top of a hill and had the descent steal the warmth I've built up, it's good hill training encouragement though.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
This time of year Just shorts and a ss jersey, if it's raining then a ls base layer underneath. You may be cold at the start but just push through it and you will soon warm up.

I laugh at the people cycling in huge jackets this time of year, good luck getting anywhere quickly without boiling.

Top Bottom