Clothing Issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RyanB98

My local bike shop opened today from the Christmas break and I have been wanting to buy some gear since Christmas day. I popped down and bought all the necessary gear and then came to the clothes. Obviously he was recommending wearing winter gear but ive bought some "spring" clothes because they were on sale and the winter clothes were very expensive. I bought some shorts, full length tights and a thin jersey. Luckily from other sports, I have under vests and warm tops I can pop on underneath. Do the shorts go on first and then the tights or vice versa? Ive never actually been on a long country ride and plan on starting in the next few days :smile: Do people put on a wooly hat under their helmet? For the hands, I have a pair of really warm gloves which have nothing in relation to cycling but I can pick a pair up eventually.
Edit: Sorry should this be in the beginner section? :/

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Dont wear the shorts and tights together. :thumbsdown:

OP
OP
R

RyanB98

Indeed not if both are padded!
If the shorts are and the tights aren't, wear shorts underneath, no underwear, pad next to skin
Yeah the shorts are padded with the tights being thin and unpadded. I can understand double padding being very irritable but is what I have okay?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Most winter gear for cycling doesn't have to be cycling-specific, warm base layers and the like. Yes a lot of people (including me) wear skinny beanie hats underneath a helmet. But note that the instructions that came with your helmet may tell you not to do this (mine did). I also sometimes wear ear warmers instead. A buff is a super effective and versatile bit of winter gear too (not just for cycling).

Gloves don't have to be cycling specific. So if you've got some nice warm gloves, just wear them. My current favourite winter "cycling" gloves are actually fleece lined workman's gloves that I got in a supermarket in Finland (they know a thing or two about the cold there).

Base layers and jumpers don't have to be cycling specific. But try to have a bit of spare luggage capacity (or a big enough jersey pocket) to enable you to take layers off, as it's quite easy to over-dress and find yourself overheating if it turns out not to be as cold as you thought.

OP
OP
R

RyanB98

Most winter gear for cycling doesn't have to be cycling-specific, warm base layers and the like. Yes a lot of people (including me) wear skinny beanie hats underneath a helmet. But note that the instructions that came with your helmet may tell you not to do this (mine did). I also sometimes wear ear warmers instead. A buff is a super effective and versatile bit of winter gear too (not just for cycling).

Gloves don't have to be cycling specific. So if you've got some nice warm gloves, just wear them. My current favourite winter "cycling" gloves are actually fleece lined workman's gloves that I got in a supermarket in Finland (they know a thing or two about the cold there).

Base layers and jumpers don't have to be cycling specific. But try to have a bit of spare luggage capacity (or a big enough jersey pocket) to enable you to take layers off, as it's quite easy to over-dress and find yourself overheating if it turns out not to be as cold as you thought.
Yep perfect, shorts under the tights. I do this a lot, my thighs get cold so it's a good way to stay warm. Two pairs of socks too :smile:
Fantastic, thank you! :biggrin:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Is it normal to feel a little self-conscious about your clothing on your first few rides? :P
I just tell my work mates i dont like cycling, i just like the feel of lycra :smile:

rivers

How far can I go?
I tend to wear a balaclava on really cold days, and a combination of merino wool and fleece/drysuit baselayers in addition to cycle specific clothing. I bought a couple of pairs of tights for winter. If it's in double digits, the shorts come out though.

OP
OP
R

RyanB98

When is a good time to go out in the morning? Light enough but long enough that the majority of the ice will have melted. What time will that be? Not really an early riser hehe :biggrin:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
When is a good time to go out in the morning? Light enough but long enough that the majority of the ice will have melted. What time will that be? Not really an early riser hehe :biggrin:
10.30/11 is the most quiet time on the roads.
I know this because I work shifts. Aim to be back home before 2.30, when the school run begins.

Top Bottom