Clothing Issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

RyanB98

Was out riding at 5.30am on new years eve, lovely and quiet!

I dont have lights at the moment so it has to be later than 07:30 or whenever the sun comes up

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
For under your helmet you can get a very thin stretch fabric head covering, it's just enough to keep the wind off your swede, and it doesn't significantly affect helmet fit. Decathlon do one for just a few quid.

oldroadman

Veteran
The old way under a helmet (going right back to Belgian days when that was compulsory for races) in the cold was simple and effective. A piece of aluminium cooking foil. Even today first aid will sometimes have foil blankets (very similar stuff) for keeping casualties warm. This works a treat and is thin enough not to notice. Unless you make a crease and then a line appears on your head, which goes away quite quickly. Worth a try at zero cost except an odd look from SWMBO!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A tinfoil hat seems like an appropriate accompaniment for the other piece of headgear, although it's more protective ;)

If you don't like spandex, don't wear it. It's not obligatory - or even beneficial in some cases.

+1 for a buff. I wear one under my crash hat in cold or rain (I don't like getting a wet head!), and might rearrange it to form a neck warner during rest halts.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Old-fashioned winter cycling cap for me, with a peak to keep the sun and rain from the eyes, and a flap to pull over the ears.

BorderReiver

Veteran
I like Merino wool base layers. Not especially cheap but lasts for ages and wicks sweat really well. It can leave you smelling a bit like a wet sheep but I live in the Yorkshire Dales and the locals seem to quite like that......

oldroadman

Veteran
A tinfoil hat seems like an appropriate accompaniment for the other piece of headgear, although it's more protective ;)

If you don't like spandex, don't wear it. It's not obligatory - or even beneficial in some cases.
You could be right about the old style crash hats, but there didn't seem to be hundreds of riders getting head injuries and they maybe worked just as well for the glancing blow which is the likely one in a race crash. Most of us "old soldiers" who only ever wore helmets for races because we had to are still around. But of course to helmet or not is still a choice. In one flush of madness I did use a plastic hat in an "anciens" race, in the wet (lovely...) with said kitchen foil under to keep warm and dry. Still works and absorbs no liquid from either outside or inside. Each to their own, I guess, whatever works for you, then that's your best choice. ^_^

oldroadman

Veteran
You could be right about the old style crash hats, but there didn't seem to be hundreds of riders getting head injuries and they maybe worked just as well for the glancing blow which is the likely one in a race crash. Most of us "old soldiers" who only ever wore helmets for races because we had to are still around. But of course to helmet or not is still a choice. In one flush of madness I did use a plastic hat in an "anciens" race, in the wet (lovely...) with said kitchen foil under to keep warm and dry. Still works and absorbs no liquid from either outside or inside. Each to their own, I guess, whatever works for you, then that's your best choice. ^_^
Note - after the suffering and useless result in said race, I decided that a nice potter was preferable for creaking old legs!

Top Bottom