Club cycling games

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IBarrett

Über Member
A couple of times recently I’ve quietly not signed up to a club ride but given them a head start then chased after them, following their route I like the challenge of pushing hard with no knowledge of how far the group are ahead and if I might catch them.

I am thinking of suggesting we do this as a ‘hare and hounds’ game for a bit of fun.

Does anyone else play games at your cycling club and if so what?

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I tried that but ended up at John O'Groats two days later, exhausted.

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
i‘m too old for racing. That’s for young guns and nutters far braver than I am.
This appeals to my competitive and fun nature and the plan is to set it up as a group ride so the group being chased would know. There is a 2-3 mph avg speed difference.

screenman

Legendary Member
i‘m too old for racing. That’s for young guns and nutters far braver than I am.
This appeals to my competitive and fun nature and the plan is to set it up as a group ride so the group being chased would know. There is a 2-3 mph avg speed difference.

I have pals in their seventies racing, how old are you?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't want to sound patronising but I don't think the average grim-faced club rider will want to get involved in games. When they do feel like it the keen riders at the front might sprint to the next lamp post.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oh yes the desperate swerve, the panic braking and the bunny-hop. Great cycling games.

South African cyclists are good at smacking their own bottoms to get your attention then pointing, gesturing and yelling out warnings. Weird altogether.

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
My club has a bi-weekly TT in the summer but only with Road Bikes not proper TT aero bikes. 10 Miles with handicap's based on previous times etc 1 minute intervals. The handicap system means that riders even with slow times but gradual improvements over time can win. We all know that it's just a bit of fun and we're lucky to have a veteran time keeper. I actually caught someone once.

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
My club has a bi-weekly TT in the summer but only with Road Bikes not proper TT aero bikes. 10 Miles with handicap's based on previous times etc 1 minute intervals. The handicap system means that riders even with slow times but gradual improvements over time can win. We all know that it's just a bit of fun and we're lucky to have a veteran time keeper. I actually caught someone once.

Thank you @xxDarkRiderxx for a great idea. Just the kind of thing I was hoping for.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Pick a load of villages fairly local. Pair up club riders. For each pair they pick three villages out of the hat. They must navigate to each village and take a photo in the village. Then have a pub where everyone meets for the finish.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Actually that's not a bad idea, it's a road version of the old Polaris trailquest, which is orienteering by bike.

Top Bottom