Club ride average speeds, could i keep up ?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Are you allowed to join with an electric bike or is that a no no :stop:
seriously even if you did based on some club rides i have been on apart from the hills you would be dropped unless it was an illegaly moddded bike as they cut out at 15.5 mph, i know the mtb section of my cc guys do turn up on e mtb for the off roading.
TBH i cant see a problem myself dependant on the pace of the group and the drop policy of the ride although some strava kom monkeys might get their noses out of joint.

OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

seriously even if you did based on some club rides i have been on apart from the hills you would be dropped unless it was an illegaly moddded bike as they cut out at 15.5 mph, i know the mtb section of my cc guys do turn up on e mtb for the off roading.
TBH i cant see a problem myself dependant on the pace of the group and the drop policy of the ride although some strava kom monkeys might get their noses out of joint.
Dead right, flat = 35-40kmh here and unless it's a pedelec (is that the right term?) then after 25kmh you're just lugging a load of extra weight around. Yep the uphill would be the place, anything above 5% and i reckon and you'd be at weight break even point so to speak. Keep in mind though that every rider in the group will make a point of ensuring to beat any leccy bike:laugh:

Last week on the way to our club ride meet point i zipped past an e-bike at the foot of a hill (1km ave 5%) about half way up he zoomed past me smiling:ohmy: i hadn't noticed his registration plate that was stealthily tucked around his seat post, registration plate here = 45kmh no way way i going to follow that:laugh:

G3CWI

Veteran
Are you allowed to join with an electric bike or is that a no no :stop:

there are some ebike riders in our club. However as others have indicated, you may find an ebike to be a disadvantage. I use mine when riding with the slowest group. Ebikes are welcome on all our rides apart from the mountain bike rides. They have fragile egos I think :smile:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Disc brakes - Stopping things since 1902
Amateur tip - on group rides a little quicker than yourself, hang back a little at junctions etc and fall in towards the back.

Do this every junction, but roll through and take a turn (shorter)where the road rises but try to be near the front approaching climbs.

Or, try to be first/second wheel on the nearside which also has the same effect, both maximise your time in shelter

Last edited:
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

I'm learning the group etiquette and some tips like the one above from TMHNET are really useful. I like how riders in front point out road obstacles so making those behind who maybe can't see them until the last minute are aware of what's coming up.

I've started to take more and longer turns on the front, usually on the flats as i can power along pretty well on those and people seem to appreciate some taking the lead on those long open roads, on the climbs i'm still right at the back clinging on to my defibrillator:laugh: really need to improve my climbing speeds !!! i suppose that's mainly a lack of stamina or just overall fitness ? Yesterdays example was a 2.5km climb of average 5% that i could only manage an ave speed of just below 16kmh and i'd need to be around 20kmh to keep up with the group. Time to loose some more timber and work out how to get fitter:okay:

Top Bottom