Club ride average speeds, could i keep up ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've been thinking about doing the same thing. As I get in better shape and build up my cycling strength, I'd like to ride with some other people. I've never done it and I'd like to learn how to ride in a group as I imagine there is a protocol and method to doing so. But I've also found that with my average speed of about 11 mph riding solo, I'm probably not up to keeping up with a group riding at 15 mph. So, I'm going to keep working on my solo rides and try and increase my average mph for each ride. That may not happen until the end of the summer but I'm ok with that. As long as it happens.
As what @screenman says. Clubs have different groups for different abilities. You join the group that fits your speed and work your way up.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. As I get in better shape and build up my cycling strength, I'd like to ride with some other people. I've never done it and I'd like to learn how to ride in a group as I imagine there is a protocol and method to doing so. But I've also found that with my average speed of about 11 mph riding solo, I'm probably not up to keeping up with a group riding at 15 mph. So, I'm going to keep working on my solo rides and try and increase my average mph for each ride. That may not happen until the end of the summer but I'm ok with that. As long as it happens.
I held off joining a club until my solo average was 15mph. I really shouldn't have, a slower solo average speed is easily boosted by the drafting and motivation of being in a group etc. You should go along and not wait :okay:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Check out what clubs exist and what they offer.

A few years ago I was a member of a club who ran a load of rides ranging from serious guys with race licenses, all the way down to slower riders like me. You started with a slow group and found your level. I can't believe that I got lucky and joined the only club in existence like that. I assume there are others.

I'd guess that only a minority of cyclists can hold 15mph over any significant distance (I certainly can't) so any club that welcomes beginners should be fine.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Check out what clubs exist and what they offer.

A few years ago I was a member of a club who ran a load of rides ranging from serious guys with race licenses, all the way down to slower riders like me. You started with a slow group and found your level. I can't believe that I got lucky and joined the only club in existence like that. I assume there are others.

I'd guess that only a minority of cyclists can hold 15mph over any significant distance (I certainly can't) so any club that welcomes beginners should be fine.

Good point. I will start looking for some groups near me that are at my level. I'm feeling pretty good today because yesterday I was able to do 30 miles at about 11.3 mph. I stop along the way but I think that calculated mph only reflects my moving time and does not take into account the six rests I take during those 30 miles. Still, there has to be some riders at my level. I also realize that I have a way to go to achieve the level of fitness I'm looking for. I want to drop 30 to 35 pounds. I've really only been riding consistently now for about 4 weeks. Which means I can only get faster the more I ride. I'm also watching what I eat and trying to get some workouts in to strengthen my core such as pushups, bicycle crunches and planks.

I know nothing about US bike clubs, but in the UK 11mph is too slow for the majority of "sporting" clubs. A minority run specific beginners rides, but that's not really the norm.
We do have a lot of "touring" oriented clubs (i.e. CTC of old) - the term is archaic, but there you go! - who welcome slower riders. Plenty of keen friendly cyclists in that category :smile:

But NJ culture might be totally different, I don't know!

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
My issue here is not the flat speed but really the uphill stuff, actually the descents are also a bit challenging but not because of the speeds but only due to my lack of experience of riding within a group but that does seem to be improving (3rd group ride done now). But the climbs are the real challenge for me and it what is spurring me on to improve. So far the groups have been small although probably the recent poor weather and C19 have had an effect on that. I kinda like the kick in the ass being the slowest is giving me although i hope i'm not making the rides tediously slow for the other guys..... i assume they'll let me know:laugh:

It's really a pleasure to ride with a few other guys and learn from them, some in my group are extremely experienced and seem happy to share advice, i can only learn from them (usually that dragging my fat ass up a hill takes longer than their skinny ass...)

Next ride i may go with the juniors:whistle:

Good point. I will start looking for some groups near me that are at my level. I'm feeling pretty good today because yesterday I was able to do 30 miles at about 11.3 mph. I stop along the way but I think that calculated mph only reflects my moving time and does not take into account the six rests I take during those 30 miles. Still, there has to be some riders at my level. I also realize that I have a way to go to achieve the level of fitness I'm looking for. I want to drop 30 to 35 pounds. I've really only been riding consistently now for about 4 weeks. Which means I can only get faster the more I ride. I'm also watching what I eat and trying to get some workouts in to strengthen my core such as pushups, bicycle crunches and planks.
I'm also unsure of the American culture also but there's lots of groups which I've been in (rather than clubs) where 11.3mph would be more than ample :okay: The groups tend to advertise in bike shops and may have web/farcebook pages.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I know nothing about US bike clubs, but in the UK 11mph is too slow for the majority of "sporting" clubs. A minority run specific beginners rides, but that's not really the norm.
We do have a lot of "touring" oriented clubs (i.e. CTC of old) - the term is archaic, but there you go! - who welcome slower riders. Plenty of keen friendly cyclists in that category :smile:

But NJ culture might be totally different, I don't know!
I wonder if I did actually strike gold with the club I used to ride with (Bigfoot CC in Bromley) as they are a "sporting" club at the fast end but also cater for kids, beginners and slow riders like myself. Maybe it's actually a rare example.

The fact that I ultimately left is proof that they don't cater for absolutely everyone. Or just proof that I'm an awkward so & so. My problem was that the few people in the club interested in audax distances were way too fast for me to ride with. So I found that on weekends when I was free to go cycling I'd be off doing my own long (slow) solo rides and ended up riding with the club only once per year (the annual London-Brighton-London fun day out).

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Next ride i may go with the juniors:whistle:

I would be careful with the juniors, in my experience they are awesome on the hills, the way to put them in their place is on the flat into a nice headwind.

@Dogtrousers
it would be lovely if there *were* more, but I'd say they are the exception.
(especially with the modern trend to form "clubs" via social media, that are really just "mates gangs" for grown-ups on bikes :P )

You are not alone in your audax problem - there are a lot of us full-value types that find the same thing! At least you're not alone on the internet :smooch:
(back-in-the-day, CTC use to run the National 400k! But splintering and niche groups has become more the norm since ... )

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
Weird but last weeks ride only oldies turned up, me included in that comment. It must be linked to the weather some how but last ride the age range was approx 38-60yrs old, and most of us 45-50ish. Thought it may be easier going but........ apparently the older guys have something to prove:laugh: and boy they did a good job of it. Was another fun ride though and i learnt again some new little back routes and connecting lanes, super nice riding with 1000m of climbing over 65km and a meagre 29kmh:whistle:

Signed up for the club now so i'm technically doomed:wacko: hope to get my jersey this week, i think it looks pretty OK.

Top Bottom