Club ride average speeds, could i keep up ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kernow_T

Über Member
Cycling and cyclists (to a large degree) have so much ego (and thus insecurity as they go hand in hand) which is part of the reason club cycling is often seen as so 'twattish' and anything but inclusive. My local club has a no drop policy which, erm, isn't a no-drop policy if you're within 20 miles of home and going too slow for the group's liking. The talk of racing snakes Vs lardy blokes is pretty derogatory (and I sense only the slightest tongue in cheek) and the type of thing along with "will I be embarrassed?" that puts people off cycling full stop and creates a real snobbery between cyclists and people that cycle. No one can answer whether you'll be embarrassed or not as it depends if one finds giving something their all, enjoying it but not being as quick as others, as somehow shameful! Also, I'm sure we've all been dropped by lardy blokes in the past so don't judge a book and all that! I blame social media and Strava in particular - people only enjoying rides of they're setting PRs or a certain average speed or commonly ensuring they avoid shame and the fear of anyone thinking they might be....slow...by titling the ride
- Just taking it easy
- Having a pootle
- spinning the legs
Anyway, the answer is, just go for it and try and get in a mindset that encourages you to enjoy a club ride based on your own intrinsic sense of enjoyment and achievement, perhaps not based on speed. I mean, what's better, a 12mph ave ride where your eyes are constantly spotting new scenery and things and perspectives you've never seen before or an 18mph ave speed rode where you've looked at your Garmin and tarmac for 3 hours straight? Many I know, would take the latter (for more Strava kudos).

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've asked at said club if i can join a couple of rides to see how i get on, it's something offered on their club website, that was a week ago and haven't heard anything back as yet.

Decided to check out another club as a back up, the first one is in the next village so is only 5km away, the next one is about 12km away. Took a look at their website and scrolled through some of the members and noticed Danilo Wyss on the list:notworthy:

KOM's round here are definitely "Pro level":laugh::laugh::laugh:

In my club newcomers generally turn up at the Meeting Point and ask if they can tag along. There are then pointed towards the different groups and asked which one they would like to ride with.

I wouldn't take too much notice of the post above. I've been in three clubs and none have been like that. I know +/- 150 of my fellow club members, one is a bit of a twat but we just leave him to get on with it. I know people from plenty of north-west clubs and none fit the description. You have to accept there are people who simply don't like cycle clubs.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Cycling and cyclists (to a large degree) have so much ego (and thus insecurity as they go hand in hand) which is part of the reason club cycling is often seen as so 'twattish' and anything but inclusive.
Sounds like you've had a bad experience.

I was a member of a club for a while and they were very nice. Rides went at advertised pace and I tootled along happily in my chosen group (and I'm pretty slow) and never got dropped. All jolly nice.

Just posting that to say that not all cycling clubs have insecure twattery written into their articles of association.

Kernow_T

Über Member
Sounds like you've had a bad experience.

I was a member of a club for a while and they were very nice. Rides went at advertised pace and I tootled along happily in my chosen group (and I'm pretty slow) and never got dropped. All jolly nice.

Just posting that to say that not all cycling clubs have insecure twattery written into their articles of association.

I haven't been able to articulate my thoughts as I intended (comes across more disparaging than intended). It was more a case of, once the insecurities about speed set in (not helped by FB/kudos/Strava etc), it can really snowball and start to dominate riding/enjoyment/in(ex)clusivity. I appreciate there are clubs that cater for everyone and are especially considerate to beginners (without being patronising) but I'm recent years I've seen a number of beginner/slower cyclists simply not have a club ride to go on (inc the social Sunday) which I think is a travesty. No intention to criticize the OP - it's just a shame that, as a regular cyclist, 'the cycling world, has, in part, caused you to feel anxious (more than excited) about joining a cycle club.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The club i was in and am thinking about rejoining has a Wednesday 'lesser ability,slower rider introduction to cycling in a group' ride which i enjoyed and to be honest was about my limit. The last time i rode with them there were about 4 riders who came along but normally ride with the 'fast' Tuesday and Thursday group. They tried to up the pace and complained at the cafe stop break that the Wednesday group ride was far too slow for them. Why the feck did they turn up if the group wasn't fast enough for them?! No wonder some folk think about joining cycling clubs,but are apprehensive when they think they might be humiliated.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've asked at said club if i can join a couple of rides to see how i get on, it's something offered on their club website, that was a week ago and haven't heard anything back as yet.

Cycling clubs generally are not very good at responding to such requests, but I wouldn't take the lack of response as any indication one way or the other.

The leader of my cycling group told me he all but stopped responding to online inquiries after several exchanges with prospective members which proved fruitless.

Just turning up and making yourself known may be an intimidating thought, but it's the only way to reliably make progress.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
So update:

Spring schedule was announced, was looking forward to "please keep up at the back (s'il vous plaît restez à l'arrière)" and then a few days later all was locked down and things put on hold (this was all end March time).

Things have since been opened up some what and the club announced this week that rides of 5 people or less are permitted. First outing is this Thursday. Just hope i get the 4 slower guys:laugh:

But...... i took the last 7wks to get my butt in gear and lost over 6kgs and got my ave speed up, now averaging 30kmh over 130km distances with 1000m of climbing so feeling a bit more confident that i may have a chance to keep up.

My wife reckons i'm only interested in the club jersey, am i that shallow:whistle:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
So update:

Spring schedule was announced, was looking forward to "please keep up at the back (s'il vous plaît restez à l'arrière)" and then a few days later all was locked down and things put on hold (this was all end March time).

Things have since been opened up some what and the club announced this week that rides of 5 people or less are permitted. First outing is this Thursday. Just hope i get the 4 slower guys:laugh:

But...... i took the last 7wks to get my butt in gear and lost over 6kgs and got my ave speed up, now averaging 30kmh over 130km distances with 1000m of climbing so feeling a bit more confident that i may have a chance to keep up.

My wife reckons i'm only interested in the club jersey, am i that shallow:whistle:

That’s in breach of the new lockdown rules announced this week. Why are they deciding to disregard them?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
So update:

Can't see you having much of a problem on a club ride!

Top Bottom