Club websites - what's needed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
You need a forum where old members can moan about newcomers and how the club isn't as good as it used to be.

F70100

Who, me ?
No cycling content here (it's a naturist caravan & camping club) but it's an example of a club website with a calendar of events, forum, twitter feed, gallery. All done with wordpress cms and free plugins.

Whatever website you produce, it needs to have fresh content added regularly otherwise once its seen, no-one has an incentive to come back. I'm only a member of the CTC but I imagine that a club that holds regular races would easily generate lots of content (results, race reports, photos) to keep a website fresh.

StuartG

slower but further
Don't be too ambitious! Designing websites is fun. People who do that like to move on to greater things. So keep to basics and make sure you cover two groups:

1) People who may be interested in 'trying you out'. Just make clear how far you go, how slow you go, what sort of group you are (pictures here can say so much more than words). Where your starting point is and do they need to contact you beforehand.

2) Club members: Next ride details, links to more useful cycling websites and write-ups of past rides (if you can con someone into writing 'em) as they can become a useful self documenting history of the club or remind new captains of old proven routes.

Bottom line is to keep updating down to the level your successor is likely to commit to. That's another extremely important point make sure the site can function without you. Other people are capable of updating it. After all we would rather be riding wouldn't we?

Our Wordpress site is arguably overdone: http://anerleybc.org/

Top Bottom