clubs? is this a place for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
Well since i decided in getting into road bikes i started to check out all the local clubs and what bothers me is that the average age of members is 35+ and there is a question i keep asking myself, will i fit? I know many can say clubs are about enjoying riding in a pack and having a laugh but will 24 year old really fit in? :/

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Which club is it?

I know when I joined mine 18 months ago (Ravensthorpe CC) there was only one member younger than me, and he was the son of another member.

Since then the older members, who often didn't ride, have left and there's been an influx of those in their 20's and 30's plus a few under 18's.

OP
OP
Torvi

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
well im talking about general and iv'e seen other clubs around and ive seen people much older than me thus i feel discouraged to join a club to be honest

Have a look at A5 Rangers cycling club in Towcester. Not too far from you. They have members from all ages including children.
You can select what kind of ride you like on Saturday, easy, intermediate fast pace etc.

Garethgas

it's just the age difference that im afraid that i just will stand out too much.

You might well be fitter than some of them ^_^
However, I really think that you're worrying over nothing. An age gap is a good thing to have in a group.
You'll call on their experience for some things, they'll call on 'the youngster' for others.
Why not just try it and see?
I tried it many years ago and didn't like it one bit but I don't, and never have cycled in a serious/competitive way so
our aims and attitudes were different.
You've got nothing to loose

robjh

Legendary Member
Won't they let you go out on a trial run or two before joining? I would have thought most clubs were open to this...then you can see how you get on before committing yourself.

My guess is that the 24 to 35 age difference will matter much less than you think when you're on the bikes, but you need to try it and see.

50000tears

Us slightly more mature folk are nothing to be afraid of. I will happily chat and get along with the early 20s guys in the group right up to the 60 somethings. I would expect most members in most clubs to be the same. Everyone is far more interested in your bike and how you ride it than in any particular age bracket.

400bhp

Guru
At your age, you might find joining a club is very beneficial. If you're prepared to listen you can learn a lot of the more senior members.

Depends a lot on the club and in particular the people of course.

Top Bottom