CO2 inflators.....is it worth me getting one (and other questions)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have a half decent mini pump that (with effort) can get 90 psi in. So.......
Will I benefit from a co2 inflator?
If so is there a best type/best make?
How many cylinders do you take?
Do you also take a mini pump as belt & braces?
And any others points you think I've missed

vickster

Legendary Member
Not really if you have a decent pump

Lonestar

Veteran
I have a mini pump and it did a great job today when I had the blowout near Mile End.Actually I carry two and one didn't work.Mean to look at it to see why.Never used CO2 canisters ever.

For Commuting I carry a Innovations Air Chuck, its simple and small and always works.I usually carry just 1 cannister. I also have a mini pump bolted to the water bottle securing points. I have tried a Bontanger pump and integrated mini pump/co2 inflator too fiddly and the adaptor did not seal properly sometimes.
If its peeing it down with rain or extra cold or I am running late I will use the gas just to get back on the road pronto. If its a puncture on the way home and the weather is ok I'll use the pump.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I carry two cartridges with me and a mini pump. Use the mini pump to put a bit of air in the tyre just to make sure it is okay then use the CO2. CO2 is brilliant, inflates the tyre in seconds.

If you do get one that doesn't encase the cartridge, then get a bit of pipe lagging as they go very very cold when you use them.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I used to go around with a mini pump, but one day just after Christmas I went into LBS with a voucher, and no idea what to spend it on other than a new bidon cage.

"What about one of these?" said LBS man, handing me a Lezyne CO2 inflator. After explaining that, yes, that container will fill a tyre to over 100PSI, I bought it.

Some weeks later, I had a tube go pop right at the bottom of Star Hill near Sevenoaks. After a lot of swearing amd messing about due to the tightness of the tyres on the rims, I reached for the inflator, not knowing what to expect.

Two seconds later the tyre was rock hard.

Later on the same ride, I got a puncture going up New Road Hill near Keston, and I didn't have a tube. Luckily for me a fellow cyclist came to my rescue. Once he'd gone, I reached for the pump, but then thought "I wonder if there's anything left in the cartridge?"

Two seconds later; pumped up and ready to go again.

If LBS man had been there, I'd have kissed him.

So, in short; get one, they are boss.

Tin Pot

Guru
For commuting, utility riding, no.

For racing, yes.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
They make getting your tyres upto full pressure a doddle. They are in Aldi this week. I always carry a pump as well though.
On a cold or wet ride you really don't want to spend more time than necessary trying to pump a tyre up to a sensible pressure.
Strangely when racing I don't carry C02 or a pump. I have never managed to fix a flat, blow it up and get back to the bunch even with C02. :whistle:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Always carry a pump with CO2.

A while back, on a ride with a couple of others. Both of my C02 cartridges failed (found out later that there was a bit of old metal canister thread in the inflator), meaning I had no other means of pumping up the tyre if I didnt happen to have the pump with me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom