Coast to Coast - Norfolk to Mid Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peza

Hello

I'm going to be doing a coast to coast next year Great Yarmouth area to the mid Welsh Coast.
Has anyone done similar or can recommend a route.
I want to keep off the main roads and use quiet back roads.

Full or partial route would be useful.

Thanks

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Hello

I'm going to be doing a coast to coast next year Great Yarmouth area to the mid Welsh Coast.

Thanks

You could start by looking at this site cycle routes as I have used it in the past on occasion. Also, to avoid busy roads, the Sustrans Routes are good although can be frustratingly long winded and can take enormous detours. the March to Oakham stretch looks reasonably OK though on sustrans routes, as does the Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth leg. One tip - leaving Yarmouth- avoid the Acle Straight (A47) at all costs- it is awful by bike. To plan your own route using OS maps see Routeplanner

Edit: also, I'd use Marriots Way from Norwich to Reepham then weave my way across W Norfolk on lanes to Wisbech then you join the Sustrans route at March. Anyway, sounds like a great trip - enjoy!

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
the March to Oakham stretch looks reasonably OK though on sustrans routes, as does the Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth leg. One tip - leaving Yarmouth- avoid the Acle Straight (A47) at all costs- it is awful by bike. To plan your own route using OS maps see Routeplanner

I can confirm that NCR 81 from Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth is a great ride. It uses quiet roads, tow paths, disused railway lines and forestry tracks. If I was on a fully laden touring bike I'd look to avoid the steep road over the Breiddens and Long Mountain. Take it easy on the descent to Caersws - hidden hairpins. Don't miss the Wye Valley from Llangurig to Rhayader - it's glorious. Once over the Cambrian watershed you're nearly there but I'd give the forestry tracks through the Hafod Estate a miss and keep to the road. The final run into Aber is a disused railway track which is nice and flat but covered in energy sapping gravel and it has about 1000 gates across it.

alexbest

Hello

Thanks

Did you find a suitable route? I’m thinking of doing this next year.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
@alexbest Thread is 12 years old and op hasn't been back himself since so you are unlikely to get a reply here.

Can see you're new to the site yourself. Say hi, welcome aboard and stick a post in the touring section for some advice.

Top Bottom