Coast to coast route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The ride itself shouldn't be a problem, but I'm told accommodation close to the route can get full months in advance.

Worth booking early if you want to avoid a long diversion.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
We did it in two days. One of the lads that came with us didn't do any training at all and he wore jeans for the ride as he was too tight to buy any cycling gear. He was also too tight to buy a decent bike and rode a rusty old MTB.

He made it but threw the bike in the sea at Roker.

Jody

Stubborn git
All being well, I'm looking to do this next summer but off road via the Trans Pennine Trail. Should be a steady and relatively flat route staying near civilisation.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There are five different routes, I think. You can get special maps from Sustrans. Your choice of bike is as important as training and the setup of the bike as important as the right clothing - padded shorts, non-flappy clothing etc.

Give up beer now and cut the size of your carb portions and you'll be amazed at how the weight drops off, assuming you want to lose weight.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
a coast to coast can be as hard or as easy as you want to make it , if you just want to get from one coast to another coast use cycle.travel to plot a route and see if that suits you - make sure you check elevation if not on cycle.travel then on ridewithgps as although it may look easy on paper you could end up going over some bleeding big hills- cycle.travel will send you the way that most cyclists have used but if on road bike make sure you click stay on road as it would send you down trails . ridewithgps you can search for other peoples rides
and i am sure you will know as rule of thumb you usually get blown from left to right across the country -- but not always
once you have decided on route chop it up into where you want to stay and hunt for places to stay and enjoy

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
This is the route we use on the one day ride , its road bike orientated so sticks to smaller lanes etc with no gravel or off road, and could easily be split into two or three days

1577190338359.png

GPX viewer

Attachments

• C-2-C_2020.gpx
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Glenn

Veteran
The Cornish coast to coast can be done in an hour or two.

I did Whithaven to Tynemouth a few years ago over 3 days, stopping at the Boot & Shoe in Greystokes and the Allenheads Inn, Allenheads. Wonderfull food in both pubs. But the ride out of Allenheads after a full English was a struggle.

geocycle

Legendary Member
If you have any concerns regarding hills the Hadrians wall is the easiest coast to coast. The classic C2C is great and was my first multi day tour since I was a teenager. If you get a taste the Reivers is great with remote sections through Kielder. Walney to Whitby via Tan Hill is excellent and the newest is the Way of the Roses from Morecambe to Bridlington.

Enigma2008

Über Member
Hi and Happy Christmas
It can be ridden in a day staying on the roads though I rode the C2C solo on my Mountain Bike in 2005, I was 59 then.
I caught the train from Derby to Whitehaven on the Monday, rode via Whinlatter Forest route to Keswick that afternoon and stopped the night in Keswick. Tuesday I rode the Old Coach road route and over Hartside to stay in a B&B at Garrowgill. Wednesday I completed the ride to Tynemouth and stayed overnight in the Grand Hotel. Thursday I caught the train to Newcastle and from there back to Derby.
Do your homework, prepare well, both stamina and equipment and arrange to let someone know where your route is taking you for the day. The route is very well signposted with plenty of places to stop for breaks. I quite fancy another crack at it!
Ps: I bought the official C2C route map.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Hi folks,
Just wondering what your thoughts were on a middle aged guy with limited rides over 30 mikes but i would like to try it next year to raise money for charity,am i thinking the impossible?
A few years back I was like you, an older guy who fancied riding the coast to coast, and like you I was not used to riding long distances. I took the plunge and with my next door neighbour we cycled from St Bees back home to Whitby, camping along the way. The journey took us 5 days and we enjoyed every minute. My advice is to do a little preparation and then go for it .

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
He made it but threw the bike in the sea at Roker.

He would not have been the first.

My local bike shop has a steady stream of customers who are doing the C2C as their 'first ride'.

The work either involves selling them a bike, or recommissioning one that has spent many years in the back of the customer's garage.

The manager of the shop tells me he rarely sees those customers again.

I've spoken to handful of people who have completed the C2C, having not ridden before nor since.

They seem to regard completing the ride as them having 'done cycling'.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
If you have any concerns regarding hills the Hadrians wall is the easiest coast to coast. The classic C2C is great and was my first multi day tour since I was a teenager.and the newest is the Way of the Roses from Morecambe to Bridlington.
My local bike shop has a steady stream of customers who are doing the C2C as their 'first ride'.
I've spoken to handful of people who have completed the C2C, having not ridden before nor since.
I've completed the TPT,C2C, Hadrians & WOTR amongst others, the first one solo was C2C & it didn't put me off :okay:
As mentioned the easiest is Hadrian's wall, slightly easier than WOTR, but overall I think WOTR is the nicest, I've done it twice & will hopefully be doing it again this year :okay: I reckon 3 days is managable for any of these routes, but depending on your fitness, you may have to walk up 1 or 2 hills :okay:

Top Bottom