Coast to coast route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
The Cicerone guide looks the business. Paired with Cycle.Travel

If you're a tightarse like me you can get many of the cicerone guides from your local libraries or as elibrary books on electronic loan.

If your local library doesn't have the guide you want ask them to buy it usually via an online form. Theyre surprisingly obliging especially with mass market appeal books. Just point out that cycling, low carbon travel and healthy living are very much invogue (onvogue?) and it's pretty much guaranteed they'll buy the book. I've had a few cicerone guides this year all with multiple stamps showing usage..

Jody

Stubborn git
@Soltydog What was the TPT route like?

ozboz

Guru
My CtC will be,, train to Newcastle , cycle to Holy Island, pick a pebble out of the sea, then head off to St Bees , Whitehaven and skim the pebble back into the sea there, not sure of route, I’m sure my intuitive norm will get me there , as long as the Sun is ahead of me in the afternoons I’ll know it heading due West -ish , no time frame, Some wild camping in mind ,

Soltydog

Legendary Member
@Soltydog What was the TPT route like?
Some of the tracks were a little on the rough side, especially going over the Pennines. I did it east to west in 2007, shortly after heavy flooding in many parts, the bridge over the river Don had been washed away & some parts of the track were under a fair few inches of water :sad: A few years later I did it west to east & it rained for most of the first day, so tracks were bad in places & our bikes got rather clarted up. Out of the routes I've done this is my least favourite

Jody

Stubborn git
Out of the routes I've done this is my least favourite

Not the news I was looking for. Although I am looking to do it in summer when it will hopefully be dry. I was picking that route due to being accessible by train and also near to home incase anything went wrong.

Thanks for the reply.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Not the news I was looking for. Although I am looking to do it in summer when it will hopefully be dry. I was picking that route due to being accessible by train and also near to home incase anything went wrong.

Thanks for the reply.
UK summer's aren't always dry :laugh: It was the first cycling tour I ever did & it didn't put me off, I got the bug, so it can't be too bad :okay: I just prefer all the other routes I've done. Where are you 'based' as WOTR has good rail connections at each end & some en-route if you need to bail

Jody

Stubborn git
UK summer's aren't always dry :laugh: It was the first cycling tour I ever did & it didn't put me off, I got the bug, so it can't be too bad :okay: I just prefer all the other routes I've done. Where are you 'based' as WOTR has good rail connections at each end & some en-route if you need to bail

There were a few reasons for me doing the TPT but going to have a serious look into the WOTR. Route looks ok but not sure as it will be a first time solo ride which I dont fancy getting stuck in the sticks.

I'm based in Sheffield

geocycle

Legendary Member
@Jody WOTR has few remote sections and is good for a beginner. You are never far from a village, cafe or pub and not very far from a bike shop. The hill out of Settle is a right so and so, and Greenhow is long. But no significant hills after Ripon.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The TPT is an odd one.

Its website promotes it as well-surfaced easy cycling, but rider reports suggest otherwise.

I've spoken to several riders in my area who have done all or nearly all the coast to coast rides.

They generally say the same as Solty, the TPT is hard work in places to the point of being unsuitable for cycling.

Hadrian's comes top in my straw poll.

Walney to Wear or Whitby is another you could consider.

http://cyclingw2w.info/

Gixxerman

Guru
I did a rather nice C2C from Whitehaven to Whitby using NCN routes 72, 71, 68, 70 and 165. I can provide the route tcx / gpx files if you like. I have it in one route and also split into 3 days of about 60 miles per day with overnight camping stops in Newby and Winston.

Top Bottom