Coast to Coast - Whitehaven to Newcastle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lpoolck

Veteran
Hello, I am going to to C2C with a few mates in a couple of weeks on MTB with Continental Travel Contact tyres as probably going to do a few trails off the route.

We are looking at getting into Whitehaven the night before and setting off early the next day - anyone got any cheap/decent recommendations on where to stay?

Hopefully looking to do it in 2 days, but if its turning out to be too hard of a slog then we are flexible and can make it run over 3 days. Again accommodation recommendations are welcome.

Been on this site for some information http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/ but nothing beats people who have been there and done it!

Also wishing to hear recommendations on routes and places to visit/stop off at.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers.

0lonerider

Veteran
you camping or b+b

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
not sure as yet, we don't want to carry a tent etc, so if we can't get someone to bring one down and meet us on route we will be going in B&B's

0lonerider

Veteran
sustrans c2c route guide on web with info on campsites b+bs ect.
theres also a company who pick your kit up and drop it at your next base! at a price.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
yeah I think I will do the sustrans C2C route. I just found that there is a company out there that pick up and drop off the kit at the next stop - something to explore though I imagine it will be a little pricey and it therefore may be more economical to stay in B&B's

0lonerider

Veteran
it was.15pound two year ago,b+bs arent cheap at peak times.i have a copy of the ultimate guide book here printed 2010,il post some guesthouses names (dont think we can post numbers on here on here)? ect.

0lonerider

Veteran
a few companys doit try haven cycles/c2c services@yahoo.com

HelenD123

Legendary Member
If you're planning on doing it in 2 days how about staying at Alston Youth Hostel? That would be cheaper than a B&B and more chance of them having space for you, although they do get booked out by groups doing the C2C.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
That's a good shout. Never thought about a hostel before. Defintely look into that. Thanks.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The C2C path on the other side of Stanhope can be difficult to ride, even on a MTB.

A lot of riders take to the road in Stanhope and haul up Crawleyside Bank to the cafe at Parkhead Station to rejoin the C2C route, which is a good surface - and mostly downhill - from there on.

Another reason for doing Crawleyside is it's a known hard climb locally, although completing it might not mean much to anyone outside County Durham.

jack smith

Veteran
Is that the long bank that the top is pretty much next to the cafe? If so thats a hell of a bank to get up i ride it often but from there to consett you hardly have to pedal, never been to newcastle that way i always do the sunderland route as i live not a minuite away from the c2c between consett and stanley heading towards sunderland ( just where the transformer sculptures are) i would definatley reccomend the roads through stanhope though and even from the cafe to waskerly as it is a lovely smooth downhill road you can pick up some amazing speed but watch the sheep as they have a tendancy to walk out infront of you.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
The C2C path on the other side of Stanhope can be difficult to ride, even on a MTB.

A lot of riders take to the road in Stanhope and haul up Crawleyside Bank to the cafe at Parkhead Station to rejoin the C2C route, which is a good surface - and mostly downhill - from there on.

Another reason for doing Crawleyside is it's a known hard climb locally, although completing it might not mean much to anyone outside County Durham.

The best reason for the OP to do Crawleyside is that the Bolts Wall climb from Rookhope will be closed in the Grouse shooting season (starts Aug 12th).
Which ever way you go up be sure to call into the caff at Parkhead - it's fab.

Top Bottom